Macro to copy specific cell from multiple sheets to single sheet in different workbook

keegan39

Hi, I REALLY need some help, please! I can do basic macros and am expanding my skills, but not nearly to this level. Here's what I'm trying to do:

Every two weeks, two reports are run and are exported into Excel. Productivity workbook has a spreadsheet for each employee; PROD PPE workbook has one spreadsheet with each of the employees listed last name in column A and first name in column B.

I'm looking to create a macro that will take care of one of many tasks that needs to be done on these reports: Go into each sheet in Productivity (the employee's name is both the sheet tab name and also the data in cell B3) and copy cell C18 to the column H in PROD PPE for the corresponding employee. There is fairly regular turnover, so the employee names are not static.

I've created the macro to activate PROD PPE and concatenate the list of names so that I can search for them later in the process and then activate Productivity, but that is where I am stumped. I can figure out how to tell the macro to copy and paste - the basics. But I don't know how to search for the names or loop through the sheets, etc.

Here's the process as I see it. Please feel free to tell me if I'm off base: Concatenate the names in PROD PPE for searching; Activate Productivity; go to tab named Smith, John; move to cell C18, copy the data, activate PROD PPE; search for Smith, John; move to column H in that row; paste the data; activate Productivity; move to the next tab and begin the process again; continue until no more tabs; end process.

If anyone can help me, I will be VERY grateful. ANY part of this that you can help with will help to move me along.

Thank you!!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Welcome to the message board!

Try this:
Code:
Sub GetValuesFromProduct()

'Loops the name from PROD PPE and enters the values from matching sheets in PRODUCT

Dim Product As Workbook
Dim MyName As String
Dim c As Range
Dim Rng As Range

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
On Error Resume Next    'Macro won't crash if a sheet is missing

Set Product = Workbooks("Product.xlsx") 'Change to match your workbook name & have it open when running the macro

With ActiveSheet    'Start the macro from the PROD PPE workbook!
        Set Rng = .Range(.Cells(2, 1), .Cells(.Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp))    'Rng starts from A2 and goes 'till the last non empty cell in that column

'Starts the loop:
        For Each c In Rng
            With c
                MyName = .Value & ", " & .Offset(, 1).Value
                .Offset(, 2).Value = Product.Sheets(MyName).Cells(18, 3).Value
            End With
        Next c
    End With

End Sub
The code is very simple and doesn't check if all the sheets from Product were used (= it ignores the sheets with no match in the names list). Also, if there's a name on the list with no match in the worksheets in Product it simply leaves that cell empty.

Upvote 0
Hi Misca,

Thanks so much for the help. I'm sorry for the delay in my response - with perfect timing, my family had a small emergency and that took my attention.

I really appreciate the help, and that's gotten me started. I can follow some of what you have here, so I'm REALLY grateful. but this isn't finding ANY matches, because all of the cells remain empty. If there's any further help that you're able to give, I'm grateful. If not, you've given me a jumping point that I can try to work from. Either way, you're wonderful :) Thank you!

Upvote 0
Check the syntax of how the sheet names are created from columns A and B: The macro is expecting them to be column A value and column B value with ", " (=a comma and a space) between them. Make sure your columns don't have trailing spaces. Also, make sure the names are written the same way. VBA is very picky with upper and lower case letters. This shouldn't be the case here but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back