Macro to count if cell result equals 1 or 2 from random generation

moe10134

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Any of you macro genius' out there know of any VB Code I can use to create an ongoing tally of results in the same cell? If cell B2 = 1 or 2 [will not be anything else except 1 and 2], Does anyone know how to create a tally for counting how many times a 1 appears and how many 2's appear in cell C2 & D2?

There are a lot of ways this macro can perform. One example would be adding a "1" in one cell row, then next time adding a "1" in next cell row, etc. to create a =COUNTA of all "1"'s . Then in next columm, same thing for "2", =COUNTA of all "2"'s.

Or placing the exact number that appears in B2 in a separate column as well, For an =COUNTIF.

Or having two cells, one cell to record for each "1", one cell to record for each "2" and a macro will count how many times, the 1 appears and how many times the 2 appears.

I am looking for a macro because it is a random generation of 1 or 2. Each time I click on the enter key after data in any cell in workbook or hit F9, the rand number changes to 1 or 2. I could track this manually with the examples above, but I cannot always keep any eye on that cell and note each time it changes. I'm looking for a way for Excel to automate it.

Any macro guru's got any suggestions? All your help is appreciated.

Kind Regards

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Try this:

Assuming the value in range "B2" is changing do to a manual change and not the result of a formula.
Try this:

If the value in "B2" changes to a "1" the results will add up in "C2" and the same will happen in "D2" if the value entered in "B2" changes to a "2"

This is an auto sheet event script
Your Workbook must be Macro enabled
To install this code:
Right-click on the sheet tab
Select View Code from the pop-up context menu
Paste the code in the VBA edit window

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Row = 2 And Target.Column = 2 Then
If Target.Value = 1 Then Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Target.Offset(0, 1).Value + 1
If Target.Value = 2 Then Target.Offset(0, 2).Value = Target.Offset(0, 2).Value + 1
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me on this. Looking at this code it looks like this will work. I want to mention that it is a =RANDBETWEEN(1,2) function that is generating the 1 & 2. When I copy and paste the code into my worksheet, nothing appears in cell C2 or D2 when I open it each time. Is this due to the results being a formula instead of a static 1 or 2? I can always create a macro to Run the =RANDBETWEEN(1,2) and the copy and Paste Values in the cell B2 to make it a static number. I would still like it to generate this code in cells C2 and D2. Could you send me this same code to assign this code to a macro button or shortcut key? When I push the Run button with this code now, nothing happens. I also cannot Step Into the macro either. Nothing happens. I think the macro button or shortcut key would work better. That way I can tell if things are happening correctly. My file is saved as an .xlsm Macro-Enabled File. Also, on a side note, I cannot change my macros to Workbook from (General) in the VB Editor. Any suggestions on that? You have been a great help for me on this. I greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well you said:
"I want to mention that it is a =RANDBETWEEN(1,2) function"

If its a random number between 1 and 2 then the number would be something like:
1.1 or 1.5 or 1.6 etc.

But your subject title says:
Macro to count if cell result equals 1 or 2 from random generation.

So I'm confused.

1 and 2 are not between 1 and 2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back