Macro to create mail merge sheet

red robbin

I am helping my kids' school organize their holiday gifts to teachers. In my spreadsheet I have two sheets. Sheet #1 – Column A has a list of all the students in school. Column B has a list of the $ given and columns C - BR has the names of all the teachers along the top. Columns C - BR are populated with the amts given by a student to that teacher (some student have multiple teachers).
I need to populate a 2nd sheet for a mail merge. It needs to have the names of the teachers in column A. Then going across - in the rows next to each teacher -it needs to have the names of each student who gave $ to that teacher. For example.. Cell A1 name of teacher, cell B1 name of first student who gave $ to that teacher, cell C1 name of 2nd student etc. I could use some help creating the macro or formula to populate sheet #2 using the data in sheet #1. Tx for your help.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hello and welcome to The Board.
I believe that I may have a formula solution for you but, to make it easier for you to set up, I need to know two things. The first is the number of students and the second is the version of Excel that is being used.
The solution takes the first worksheet and creates the second worksheet using two 'helper' worksheets. The formulas used include INDEX, SMALL, ROW, COLUMN and TRANSPOSE.
Because I will have to describe how/where to enter these formulas, it may take me a day or two to get it together for posting on this Board.
It would be useful to know if you are familiar with those formulas and array-formulas (so I will know how much to explain) as well as the answers to my two questions.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. First of all there are about 800 students. The version of Excel is Excel 2007. In terms of the formulas you list, I have used the index formula but not the others. I have used array formulas although not frequently. Thanks so much for your time and assistance

Upvote 0
I have seen your reply .....
It is good that you are using Excel 2007 because if we could not use IFERROR, some of the formulas would become twice as long using ISNA, ISERR etc.
I will produce the instructions for you to create a 'test' workbook to see if it will do exactly what you want - it will use fewer students and I will indicate where the formulas need to be changed to allow for 800 students etc. (The formulas are not difficult to understand.)
I will try and get that done tonight.

Upvote 0
The following is not complicated - it is just that there is quite a bit of descriptive text.
Set up a 'test' version of the workbook as follows:
1. Create four worksheets with the names Payments, Helper1, Helper2 and MM Data. The only space in the worksheet names is in the last one (MM Data).
Helper1 and Helper2 can later be hidden.

2. In worksheet 'Payments', enter data as follows:
A1: Student
A2: Fred
A3: Bill
A4: Bert
A5: Harry
B1: Amount
B2: Enter the formula =SUM(C2:L2) and copy this down to the 3 cells below.
C1: T1
D2: T2
Continue this with T3, T4 etc. up to T10 in column L.
Enter some values in cells C2, D2, D3, E3, F2, F4, F5 and G2 (keep it simple with values such as 5, 10, 20 and 30).
Save the workbook.

3. In worksheet 'Helper1', enter formulas as follows:
A1: =Payments!A1
Copy this formula down to A5.
Copy the formula in A1 across to L1.
Copy the formula in B1 down to B5.
C2: =IF(Payments!C2<>"",$A2,"")
(Note that in the formula above there are no spaces - the "" is a null-string)
The formula in C2 now needs to be copied across to L2
and then C2:L2 needs to be copied down to C5:L5.
The content of worksheet 'Helper1' should be identical to worksheet 'Payments' except that the numberic values (payments) will have been replaced by the appropriate student's name.
Save the workbook.

4. On worksheet 'Helper2':
Leave columns A and B blank as they are not needed and keeping the worksheets' data "aligned" will make it easier to maintain.
Enter formulas as follows:
C1: =Helper1!C1
and copy this formula across to L1
C2: =IFERROR(INDEX(Helper1!$C$2:$L$5,SMALL(IF(Helper1!C$2:C$5="","",ROW(Helper1!C$2:C$5)-1),ROW()-1),COLUMN()-2),"")
but, and this is important, the formula must be entered as an 'array formula' by using Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of just 'Enter'.
Copy the formula in C2 across to L2 and then copy the formulas in C2:L2 down to C5:L5.
You will see the same names as in worksheet 'Helper1' but they will have been moved up so that there are no blank cells.
Save the workbook.

5. There are two methods to create the data in worksheet 'MM DAta' - one manual and the other using an array-formula.
My preference would be the manual method, particularly when dealing with many rows and columns because Method 2 requires you to select all the (about to be transposed) cells before entering the array-formula.
Method 1:
On worksheet Helper2, select C1:L5 and copy (Ctrl+C).
On worksheet MM Data, select cell A1 and then use Paste | Paste Special | Values Transpose (there are two boxes to tick in the Paste Special dialog box) and click OK.
Method 2:
On worksheet MMData, select A1:E10 and enter the following formula:
=TRANSPOSE(Helper2!C1:L5)
but by using Ctrl+Shift+Enter to make it an array-formula.
This method can be frustrating because (a) you need to select the same size of data but transposed, so 800 rows and 50 columns in Helper2 would become 50 rows and 800 columns in MM Data and (b) you cannot delete individual cells, rows, columns in an array - only the complete array.

For the larger number of Teachers and Students that you need in your workbook, it is just a case of changing the 'L' and '5' in the formulas to the appropriate values.
ROW() and COLUMN() return the current row and column numbers and, as another example, ROW(C5) would return 5 and COLUMN(C5) would return 3. SMALL returns the 'nth' smallest value in the argument.
IFERROR is needed in the formula to allow for blank cells.
Save the workbook.

I hope that I have understood the requirement correctly and that this gives you what you want. Any problems/questions just update this post.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for taking the time to lay out your answer like that. It is perfect and gets the data in exactly the format I need. I have been trying to figure this out for a while and couldn't come up with an answer. This was a huge help. Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back