macro to cut & paste rows to another sheet (with multiple criteria) - vba

Alice88

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm looking for some help on (hopefully) a fairly simple vba code.

I have a long list (600+) with only 2 columns: Flowers in A, quantity in B
Here's an excerpt of Sheet1:

Rose 15
Lilac 8
Geranium 5
Tulip 20
Syringa 4
Daffodil 15

I need to move the rows with "Lilac" to Sheet2. It should be a cut and move, so the entire Lilac row will disappear from Sheet1.

Here's my problems:
1) "Lilac" is often labelled as "Syringa" (it's scientific name). So I need the vba code to identify both criteria.
2) When moving to Sheet2, it should be pasted from Row 10 down. The space above I want to reserve for some graphics and logos.

I know I can filter, cut and paste, but I'm seeing this as a great learning opportunity.
Thanks in advance!!

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Hi
Try
VBA Code:
Sub test()
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim trng As Range
    With Sheets("Sheet1")
        For i = 1 To .Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
            If .Cells(i, 1) = "Lilac" Or .Cells(i, 1) = "Syringa" Then
                If rng Is Nothing Then
                    Set rng = .Range(.Cells(i, 1), .Cells(i, 2))
                   Set trng = rng
                Else
                    Set trng = Union(trng, .Range(.Cells(i, 1), .Cells(i, 2)))
                End If
            End If
        Next
        trng.Copy Sheets("sheet2").Cells(10, 1)
        trng.EntireRow.Delete
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
I'm seeing this as a great learning opportunity.
That being the case, please see the code below. There's often more than one way to do things with VBA.

Option Explicit '<< Always use this - forces declaration of variables & prevents lots of problems

VBA Code:
Sub Alice88()

'   Declare variables
    Dim WsSrc As Worksheet, WsDest As Worksheet
    Dim LRow As Long

'   Set the variables
    Set WsSrc = Worksheets("Sheet1")    '<< give variables intuitive names e.g. WsSrc = Source worksheet
    Set WsDest = Worksheets("Sheet2")   '<< you may need to change these to your actual sheet names

LRow = WsDest.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1  '<< finds the last empty row in column A in the destination sheet
'   The Lrow (=Last row) is where you'll be copying the data to on the destination sheet

'   Set an Autofilter on the source sheet for Lilac and Syringa
'   Note the uuse of the asterisk wildcard - * - in case there are accidental spaces at the start or end of the names
    With WsSrc.Range("A1").CurrentRegion  '<< A With block needs and End With statement at the end
        .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="*Lilac*", Operator:=xlOr, Criteria2:="*Syringa*"
'   Check to make sure there are actually some records selected - if not, stop code execution
        If WorksheetFunction.CountA(.Columns("A")) = 1 Then '<< test if only the header row is showing
            MsgBox "No records selected"                    '<< if so, tell the user
            .AutoFilter                                     '<< turn the autofilter off
            Exit Sub                                        '<< Exit the sub
        End If
'   Offset by 1 row to exclude the headers from the copy
        .Offset(1).Copy WsDest.Range("A" & LRow)    '<< copy the filtered value to the destintion sheet
        .Offset(1).EntireRow.Delete                 '<< then delete those rows on the source sheet
        .AutoFilter                                 '<< turn the autofilter off
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Version2 (test for records showing was incorrect)
VBA Code:
Option Explicit '<< Always use this - forces declaration of variables & prevents lots of problems

Sub Alice88_V2()

'   Declare variables
    Dim LRow As Long

'   Set the variables
    Set WsSrc = Worksheets("Sheet1")    '<< give variables intuitive names e.g. WsSrc = Source worksheet
    Set WsDest = Worksheets("Sheet2")   '<< you may need to change these to your actual sheet names

LRow = WsDest.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1  '<< finds the last empty row in column A in the destination sheet
'   The Lrow (=Last row) is where you'll be copying the data to on the destination sheet

'   Note the uuse of the asterisk wildcard - * - in case there are accidental spaces at the start or end of the names
    With WsSrc.Range("A1").CurrentRegion  '<< A With block needs and End With statement at the end
        .AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="*Lilac*", Operator:=xlOr, Criteria2:="*Syringa*"
'   Check to make sure there are actually some records selected - if not, stop code execution
        If Range("A:A").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Rows.Count = 1 Then '<< test if only the header row is showing
        End If
        .Offset(1).Copy WsDest.Range("A" & LRow)    '<< copy the filtered value to the destintion sheet
        .Offset(1).EntireRow.Delete                 '<< then delete those rows on the source sheet
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Alice, I just noticed that you wanted the rows pasted on row 10 on sheet2 - not on the first blank row. Please se the amended code below.

VBA Code:

Sub Alice88_V3()

'   Declare variables
    Dim LRow As Long

'   Set the variables

'   IF you wanted it pasted to the first available blank row - you'll pick row 10 instead

If Range("A:A").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Rows.Count = 1 Then '<< test if only the header row is showing
        End If
        .Offset(1).Copy WsDest.Range("A10")         '<< copy the filtered value to the destination sheet - row 10
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you both!!
I like the first code for its simplicity - tested and it works great!
I haven't tested yours yet Kevin as I am working through the notes. Really appreciate you providing those. I'm a total beginner so it helps tons.

Upvote 0
Thank you both!!
I like the first code for its simplicity - tested and it works great!
I haven't tested yours yet Kevin as I am working through the notes. Really appreciate you providing those. I'm a total beginner so it helps tons.
Glad we could help, and thanks for the feedback :)
Please note my correction in post #5

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back