Macro to find and position

Dan Wilson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day. I am running Excel out of Office365 on Windows 10. I have created a worksheet for tracking biographies of song artists. It has 3 Columns. Column A (Init) contains the first three characters of the artist or group name. Column B (Artist) contains the full name of the artist or group. Column C (Bio) contains biographical data about the artist or group. Column C is formatted as a Wrap Text to allow the biography to show all the text entered. Row 1 contains headers for the Columns and the entire worksheet is set to Freeze the Top Row. I would like to be able to put a Control Button in Column D of Row 1 that will allow me to enter a desired Init and then have the Macro search for a match to the Init and then make the matched Row appear at the top of the screen below the Freeze line. There is a possibility that as I continue to enter more biographies, there may be more than one Init match. I am open to suggestions as to how to handle that.
Thank you, Dan Wilson...

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Dan,

In all good databases there is usually one or more key fields. These key fields must be unique. Since you already have a field with the artist's full name, why don't you just use that. Otherwise I could see you using the first three characters and some date string to differentiate the key fields.

I would add your control field above your data set, making the header rows end up on row 2. You might consider making a macro that filters your data based on what you enter in your control field. If you have duplicates, you could add more characters so the filter shows only one or accept it as it is.

Upvote 0
To make it easier on yourself, you could make the macro filter on the artists name so that it included the text you typed. For example: Typing Pink would get you both Pink Floyd and Pink. You could then choose to filter further.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back