Macro to Find and Replace - Speed

shades

I had written a macro about two years ago that replaced longer company names with common abbreviations. I store it in Personal.xls, and it has been relatively fast (2-5 sec for most projects with < 2000 rows). However, I tried it on a file with 15,000 rows, and it choked Excel - i.e. it wouldn't run and had to be force quite (Excel XP on Windows 2000).

Here is a portion of the macro (I have about 40 companies that need to be abbreviated, names here have been simplified to protect the guilty ;) ). I stepped through a couple of these lines to see what would happen, and each line took at least 1-2 min.

Code:
Sub ChgCompNames()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Cells.Replace What:="Company AAAA", Replacement:="AAAA", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows
    Cells.Replace What:="Company BBBB", Replacement:="BBBB", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows
    Cells.Replace What:="Company CCCC", Replacement:="CCCC", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows
    Cells.Replace What:="Company DDDD", Replacement:="DDDD", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows
'etc. for all company names
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Is there a better way to go about the replacing? Or is there a way to make this more efficient? (I use this macro just about everyday, and this is the first time that I have run into such a problem.)

My latest update:

I used FastExcel to time the latest work with this Dictionary Object Model replacement.

Rows: 29,793
Replacements Items: 154
Time: 3.14 seconds

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
i also have similar problem can anyone suggest me pls....

Hi All,

I have one requirement for find and replace.
There are 1000's of XML tag with values..
i want a macro which should replace all the tags(the value which is in between angel brackets<> should only be removed and angel bracekst also should be removed) with or without space and tag value should remain unchanged.
Can anyone help me on this...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back