Macro to Find and Replace - Speed

shades

I had written a macro about two years ago that replaced longer company names with common abbreviations. I store it in Personal.xls, and it has been relatively fast (2-5 sec for most projects with < 2000 rows). However, I tried it on a file with 15,000 rows, and it choked Excel - i.e. it wouldn't run and had to be force quite (Excel XP on Windows 2000).

Here is a portion of the macro (I have about 40 companies that need to be abbreviated, names here have been simplified to protect the guilty ;) ). I stepped through a couple of these lines to see what would happen, and each line took at least 1-2 min.

Code:
Sub ChgCompNames()

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Cells.Replace What:="Company AAAA", Replacement:="AAAA", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows
    Cells.Replace What:="Company BBBB", Replacement:="BBBB", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows
    Cells.Replace What:="Company CCCC", Replacement:="CCCC", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows
    Cells.Replace What:="Company DDDD", Replacement:="DDDD", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows
'etc. for all company names
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Is there a better way to go about the replacing? Or is there a way to make this more efficient? (I use this macro just about everyday, and this is the first time that I have run into such a problem.)

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Thanks for the link. That wasn't the issue. The most in any cell was 40 characters.

HOWEVER, I discovered something. On an earlier project I had changed Options on Calculation to Manual - and then forgot about it. Well, I went back in and changed it to "Automatic". That did it. Now the entire Find/Replace macro did the entire project in less than a minute!!

Who would have thought? Not me. But I learned something.

Upvote 0
You can also turn off screen updating for the duration of your macro (Application.ScreenUpdating = False). Don't forget to set it back to true when you're done.

Upvote 0
Can you replace "Company " with nothing, ie a single replace, or are there other instances of the target string? Or is the Company bit just a reprsentation...

Upvote 0
It is a representation. The string "Company AAAA" may be one word, two words, or in a few cases five words. And there are multiple instances of each. In at least seven cases the name will appear at least 1,000 times.

Upvote 0
The column can vary from spreadsheet to spreadsheet; within one spreadsheet it will always be the same column. Usuallythe company will be in one of these columns: A, B, C, or D (i.e. if in A, then it won't be in any other column).

There were no calculations of any kind in this specific spreasheet. The only way I found out that it was Manual Calculation was when I tried to determine how many characters in each company name, I used =LEN(B1) and filled down the column. Nothing happened. When I turned on Automatic Calculation, the formulas instantly changed. I then clicked my macro button - and within a minute all company names were changed (i.e. worked liked it normally did).

Upvote 0
So, it's now running well? [ I wouldn't think ~15k rows should kill XL, but maybe you had a bunch of other apps in background? ]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back