Macro to find based on variable cell values in loop

patsdavixen

Hi,

I have two sheets in a workbook. The first sheet is named "A" and the second sheet is named "B". Both sheets are identical i.e. they have data ranging from Columns A:AI. However, the number of rows are variable.
I need a macro that will run in loop by looking up data that is mentioned in column D only (the number of rows are variable) on sheet "B" against Column D only in sheet "A". For example, if the word "Popcorn" is mentioned on sheet "B" in cell D2, the macro should look for "Popcorn" in column D in any row in sheet "A". If it finds the word "Popcorn" in sheet A, it should delete the entire row. Once it checks D2 in Sheet "B", it should move on to D3 and so on until it reaches a blank cell (the entire row will also be blank) in column D.
I have the following code but it only searches the cell value of D2. I do not know how to loop it and also have it search only for the range of D

Code:
Sub Find()
        Dim Found As Range
        Sheets("A").Select
        Set Found = Cells.Find(What:=Sheets("B").Range("D2").Value, After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas, LookAt:= _
        xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False _
        , SearchFormat:=False)
        If Found Is Nothing Then
        MsgBox "Not found", vbInformation
        Exit Sub
        Else
        Found.Select
        Selection.EntireRow.Delete
        End If        

End Sub

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
try below code
Code:
Sub DEL_ROWS()
Sheets("A").Select
Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Select
Do Until ActiveCell.Row = 1
If ActiveCell.Value = Sheets("B").Range("D2").Value Then ActiveCell.EntireRow.Delete
ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select
Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi kevatarvind,

Thanks for replying to my post. The code you provided only checks the cell value of "D2", it does not continue to check all other cells in column D.
Is there a way for the macro to check D3, D4 and so on once it has checked D2? The macro should stop searching for the value of column D on sheet "B" against sheet "A" until it reaches a blank cell in Column D of sheet "B".

Thanks,
Pat

Upvote 0
Hi kevatarvind,

Thanks for replying to my post. The code you provided only checks the cell value of "D2", it does not continue to check all other cells in column D.
Is there a way for the macro to check D3, D4 and so on once it has checked D2? The macro should stop searching for the value of column D on sheet "B" against sheet "A" until it reaches a blank cell in Column D of sheet "B".

Thanks,
Pat

oh sorry i did not get you ok now try below one i think its perfect what you need
Code:
Sub DEL_ROWS()
Dim myrng As Range
Set myrng = Sheets("B").Range("D2")
Do Until myrng.Value = ""
Sheets("A").Select
Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Select
Do Until ActiveCell.Row = 1
If ActiveCell.Value = myrng.Value Then ActiveCell.EntireRow.Delete
ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 0).Select
Loop
Set myrng = myrng.Offset(1, 0)
Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back