Macro to hide certain columns & rows

nkkhil

Hi All,

Excel 2003

I was wondering if anyone can help me? I am after a macro (assuming this is the best solution) to hide certain columns and rows based on the value in column B, the macro needs to be triggered using a check box. So when checked the macro hides specific columns & rows and when unchecked shows all

Example:

ABDEF
Test1OpenTest A1xx
Test2OpenTest B2yy
Test3On HoldTest A3zz
Test4ClosedTest D4xx
Test6ClosedTest E5yy

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have 3 check boxes: Open, Closed and Onhold

1) When the open box is checked the macro should hide all rows without open in column B and all also hide column D & F
2) When the Closed box is checked the macro should hide all rows without Closed in column B and all also hide column A & E
etc....

To add to the mix is it also possible to filter the results based on 2 columns?

Example
1) When the open box is checked the macro should hide all rows without open in column B and showing Test A in column C but hide column D & F

Hope that makes sense

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I honestly think Excel's built-in Filter/Table feature would do everything your requested without the need for anything written in VBA. With Filter/Table you can indeed filter results from more than one column.

On the Home tab, look to the far right on the ribbon, and click "Sort & Filter", a drop-down box will appear and click "Filter."

Upvote 0
I honestly think Excel's built-in Filter/Table feature would do everything your requested without the need for anything written in VBA. With Filter/Table you can indeed filter results from more than one column.

On the Home tab, look to the far right on the ribbon, and click "Sort & Filter", a drop-down box will appear and click "Filter."

Thanks for your taking the time to reply.

I am not able to hide columns using this function? I have a spreadheet which contains 70 Coulmns and wish to hide certain rows and certain coulmns based on the values in column B or G. I tried to simplify the example to make it easier:)

Upvote 0
Ah I misunderstood! I thought you meant cells vs. entire columns/rows. Well that's a bit out of my pay grade lol. Best of luck!

Upvote 0
I have had an attempt at coding this using snippets of google-ing:). The issue I having is the rows do not unhide when the check box is unticked, does anyone know where I'm going wrong? Also how would I incorporate the hiding of columns G, I & J into this macro?

Private Sub CheckBox1_Click()
On Error Resume Next
If ActiveSheet.CheckBoxes(1).Value = 1 Then
For Each x In Columns(9).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
If x.Value = "Open" Or x.Value = "Complete" Or x.Value = "On Hold" Then Rows(x.Row).Hidden = True
Next
Else
Rows.Hidden = False
End If

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back