Macro to lookup data within multiple columns

MHamid

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hello,

Hopefully I will explain this correctly. I am looking for some assistance figuring out the best way to create a macro that will look at data in multiple columns and determine what is the account ownership.
I have possible ownership listed in columns AB-AI and also AR. Looking to create a code that will do the following.
If there is a Responsible Individual identified in column AR, then look in this column for business ownership and this will be the primary ownership ... the rest of the data in the remaining columns will be impacted businesses if different from Responsible Individual.
If there is no Responsible Executive, then look at the Business Name (Column AC), then look at Business Name2 (Column AD), then look at Business Name 6 (Column AG), then look at Business Name 7 (Column AH), then look at Business Name 8 (Column AI). Business Ownership should be listed within these columns, and I need the macro to look in that order. Majority of the time the data will be the same, but there will be instances where there might be additional businesses listed in the latter columns.
Anything in Business Name 3 and Business Name 4 (Columns AD and AE), then these will aways be listed in the impacted column (Column G).
If any of the columns (AR, AB, or AC) have "Business" in this column with an additional other business name, then the account is always "Not Owned" (Column BC) and "Shared" Column BD).
If any of the columns (AR, AB-AI) have "Business" and/or blanks in this column alone, then the account is always (Column BC) and "Business" (Column BD).
if any of the columns (AR, AB-AI) does not have "Business", then the account is an "owned" account (Column BC) and if there is a Responsible Individual identified in column AR, then look in this column for business ownership and this will be the primary ownership ... the rest of the data in the remaining columns will be impacted businesses if different from Responsible Individual.

In the Key sheet, I have some lookup values that I was thinking of using for this.
The goal is to weed through the data in the above-mentioned columns and provide "Final Results" in Columns (BC-BG).
Below is the best I could do to provide sample data.
Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Sample Data.xlsx
ABABACADAEAFAGAHAIAJAKALAMANAOAPAQARBBBCBDBEBGBH
1Final Results
2Account NumberBL1Business NameBusiness Name 2Business Name 3Business Name 4Business Name 5Business Name 6Business Name 7Business Name 8Area1Area2Area3Area4Area5Area6Area7Area8Responsible IndividualOwnershipMain FocusOwned AreaImpactedArea
3S123456GBBusiness/TechnologyBusiness/TechnologyTechnologyETGB/ETGBGBGBETNot OwnedSharedTechnologyGB
4S456789ETBusiness/Technology/OperationsBusiness/Technology/OperationsBusiness/Technology/OperationsGB/ET/IGICGICGETETICGNot OwnedSharedTechnology/OperationsGB
5S789123IGBusinessBusinessBusinessGBIGGBGBNot OwnedBusinessIG
6S456123PBOperationsOperationsTechnologyPBPBOwnedOpsOperationsPB
7S852741PBBusinessBusinessPBPBPBPBNot OwnedBusinessPB
8S741963ETOperations/TechnologyOperations/TechnologyOperations/OtherPB/ETPBETTechnologyOwnedTechTechnologyOperationsET
9S741852GBTechnology/Business/OperationsTechnology/Business/OperationsET/BusinessTechnologyGB/ETGBGBGBNot OwnedSharedTechnology/OperationsGB
Main

Sample Data.xlsx
WXYZAAAB
1OwnershipMain FocusOwned AreaRegionImpactedArea
2OwnedOpsOperationsPB
3OwnedOpsMultiPB
4OwnedTechTechnolgyET
5OwnedTechMultiET
6Not OwnedBusinessIG
7Not OwnedSharedOperationsGB
8Not OwnedSharedTechnolgyGB
Key

Thank you,

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Hello,

I have the below Select Case code that bring over the Ownership. What I am trying to do next is create a code that will look at the results from the Select Case code results in column BC and then look at the values in columns (AR, AB-AI). First part I want to solve is if the data in columns (AR, AB-AI) contains only Business, then the result should be Business all else will be Shared. Would this work with Select Case or is For Each with some If Statements a better option?

This is the Case Code I am using to solve for Ownership.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Ownership()
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim lr As Long
Dim i&, rngD, rngB, rngC, B As String, C As String, D As String, Ownership()
Set sh = Sheets("Main")
lr = sh.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
rngD = Range("AR3:AR" & lr).Value: rngB = Range("AB3:AB" & lr).Value: rngC = Range("AC3:AC" & lr).Value
ReDim Ownership(1 To UBound(rngB), 1 To 1)
    For i = 1 To UBound(rngB)
        D = rngD(i, 1): B = rngB(i, 1): C = rngC(i, 1)
        Select Case True
            Case (D Like "*Non O&T Business*" Or D Like "Non O&T Business" Or D Like "Non O&T Business*" Or D Like "*Non O&T Business" Or D Like "") Or (B Like "*Non O&T Business*" Or B Like "Non O&T Business" Or B Like "Non O&T Business*" Or B Like "*Non O&T Business" Or B Like "") Or (C Like "Non O&T Business" Or C Like "*Non O&T Business*" Or C Like "Non O&T Business*" Or C Like "*Non O&T Business" Or C Like "")
                Ownership(i, 1) = "Non-O&T": GoTo z
            Case Else
                Ownership(i, 1) = "O&T Area": GoTo z
z:
        End Select
    Next
With Range("BC3").Resize(UBound(rngB), 1)
    .ClearContents
    .Value = Ownership
End With
End Sub

This is the code I attempted to create for the Main Focus column (L1_Area in my code) for the "Not Owned" items (Non-O&T in my actual code).
VBA Code:
Sub L1_Area()
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim lr As Long
Dim i&, rngD, rngB, rngC, rngE, B As String, C As String, D As String, E As String, L1_Area()
Set sh = Sheets("Main")
rngD = Range("AR3:AR" & lr).Value: rngB = Range("AB3:AB" & lr).Value: rngC = Range("AC3:AC" & lr).Value: rngE = Range("BC3:BC" & lr).Value
        E = rngE(i, 1): D = rngD(i, 1): B = rngB(i, 1): C = rngC(i, 1)
        Select Case True
            Case (E = "Non-O&T")
                Case (D Like "Non O&T Business" Or D Like "") Or (B Like "Non O&T Business" Or B Like "") Or (C Like "Non O&T Business" Or C Like "")
                    L1_Area(i, 1) = "Business": GoTo z
                Case Else
                    L1_Area(i, 1) = "Shared": GoTo z
z:
        End Select
    Next
With Range("BD3").Resize(UBound(rngB), 1)
    .ClearContents
    .Value = L1_Area
End With

I am getting the error "Subscript out of range" within the L1_Area(i, 1) = "Shared": GoTo z section of the code. 

End Sub

Thank you,

Upvote 0
I am getting the error "Subscript out of range" within the L1_Area(i, 1) = "Shared": GoTo z section of the code.
L1_Area is erroring out because you have neither populated it with a range nor have you dimensioned it using a Redim L1_Area(no of rows, no ol columns).

I can't follow you logic in your select case statements eg in Main Focus
This is the code I attempted to create for the Main Focus column (L1_Area in my code) for the "Not Owned" items (Non-O&T in my actual code).
In Case D B C they are all OR which means if any one of those 3 is blank it will qualify for that Case. Is that really what you mean ?
You are using a Like without and wildcards "*" this is the same as "="

This is the Case Code I am using to solve for Ownership.

D Like "*Non O&T Business*" Or will cover off D Like "Non O&T Business" Or D Like "Non O&T Business*" Or D Like "*Non O&T Business" making them superflous. Also here they are all OR so if even one of the column = blank ("") then that case option will be TRUE.

You refer to:
"Not Owned" items (Non-O&T in my actual code
But this never appears in your sample in AB AC or AR and yet that is where your select Case is looking for it.

Can you give some clearer examples and explanation of when it should be Business and when is should be Shared.

Upvote 0
Hello,

L1_Area is erroring out because you have neither populated it with a range nor have you dimensioned it using a Redim L1_Area(no of rows, no ol columns).
Ah yes! I see what I missed. The ReDim I have in the second code should have been L1_Area and I left it as Ownership. I made the correction, but it's populating Business and Shared for anything found in column BC as "O&T Area", but I need it to populated for the Non-O&T ownership. What I'm looking to do here is if the cell value in column BC is "Non-O&T", then if "Non O&T Business" is the only text found within the cell in columns AR, AB, or AC, then the result should be "Business", if the cell value contains other along with "Non O&T Business", then the result should be "Shared".

In Case D B C they are all OR which means if any one of those 3 is blank it will qualify for that Case. Is that really what you mean ?
You are using a Like without and wildcards "*" this is the same as "="
I believe my last statement above should answer this question ... What I'm looking to do here is if the cell value in column BC is "Non-O&T", then if "Non O&T Business" is the only text found within the cells or if the cell value is blank in columns AR (Case D), AB (Case B), or AC (Case C), then the result should be "Business", if the cell value contains other text along with "Non O&T Business" (for example, Non O&T Business/Technology), then the result should be "Shared".
I thought that if I used wildcards here, then I'm saying "Non-O&T Business" and additional data, which I don't want. I just want to know id this text "Non-O&T Business" or blank is the only text listed (I have a cell where "Non-O&T Business" can be listed multiple times with "/" in between and I have another column where it's just "Non-O&T Business" value.

D Like "*Non O&T Business*" Or will cover off D Like "Non O&T Business" Or D Like "Non O&T Business*" Or D Like "*Non O&T Business" making them superflous. Also here they are all OR so if even one of the column = blank ("") then that case option will be TRUE.
Yes, in this part of the code, I need at least 1 one these to be true. If the additional Or statements are superfluous and the code still works without them, I can remove the extras and test to make sure it does what I need. Sometimes some cell values will be blank, which is why I thought Or would work.
But this never appears in your sample in AB AC or AR and yet that is where your select Case is looking for it.

Can you give some clearer examples and explanation of when it should be Business and when is should be Shared.
Sorry, my sample data is different than the actual data text because I can't share exactly what I have from work. So I just provided testing text, but didn't have time to enter the testing text within the code. I can provide an updated testing data, but that will take me a little bit of time.

Any other preliminary ideas before I provide an updated sample data?

Thank you,

Upvote 0
See if this gives you any ideas.
Note: Your example
• has Row 7 as Business but it doesn't meet the criteria you outlined above
• has 1 row as Ops and 1 as Tech in Column BD - this is not covered in the information you have provided and your code clears BD before it puts in the new data so these codes will not appear.

VBA Code:
Sub L1_Area()
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim lr As Long
Dim i&, rngD, rngB, rngC, rngE, L1_Area()
'Dim B As String, C As String, D As String, E As String              ' XXX Not used in this version of the code

Set sh = Sheets("Main")

With sh
    lr = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    rngD = .Range("AR3:AR" & lr).Value: rngB = .Range("AB3:AB" & lr).Value: rngC = .Range("AC3:AC" & lr).Value: rngE = .Range("BC3:BC" & lr).Value
End With

ReDim L1_Area(1 To UBound(rngB), 1 To 1)

Dim cntBusiness As Long
Dim cntBlank As Long
Dim cntCritCols As Long
cntCritCols = 3
' Logic for Business
' One of the 3 columns must be Business and the other columns can be blank or Business
    If rngE(i, 1) = "Non-O&T" Then
        cntBusiness = (rngB(i, 1) = "Business") + (rngC(i, 1) = "Business") + (rngD(i, 1) = "Business")
        cntBusiness = -cntBusiness                  ' Reverse sign VBA True = -1
        If cntBusiness > 0 Then
            cntBlank = (rngB(i, 1) = "") + (rngC(i, 1) = "") + (rngD(i, 1) = "")
            cntBlank = -cntBlank                  ' Reverse sign VBA True = -1
        End If

If (cntBusiness + cntBlank) = cntCritCols Then
            L1_Area(i, 1) = "Business"
        Else
            L1_Area(i, 1) = "Shared"
        End If
    End If
Next i

With sh.Range("BD3").Resize(UBound(rngB), 1)
    .ClearContents
    .Value = L1_Area
End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Alex,

I tested your code and I like it, but I'm looking to see if I need to tweak it for additional columns
I'm trying to rework my Ownership code, but I can't seem to figure out how I can make my logic work. This is the logic: If the data in Column "AR3:AR" & lr contains "Non-O&T Business", then column BC value needs to be "Non-O&T". Then if the data in Column "AB3:AB" & lr or the data in Column "AC3:AC" & lr contains "Non-O&T Business" or is blank, then column BC value needs to be "Non-O&T". Everything else should be for cells that do not contain "Non-O&T Business" or blanks in columns AB and AC, then column BC value needs to be "O&T Area".
What am I missing in my code to make this logic work?

VBA Code:
Sub Ownership()
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim lr As Long
Set sh = Sheets("Main")
rngD = Range("AR3:AR" & lr).Value: rngB = Range("AB3:AB" & lr).Value: rngC = Range("AC3:AC" & lr).Value
        Select Case True
            Case D Like "*Non O&T Business*"
            Case (B Like "*Non O&T Business*" Or B Like "") Or (C Like "*Non O&T Business*" Or C Like "")
            Case Else
                Ownership(i, 1) = "O&T Area": GoTo z
z:
        End Select
    Next
    .ClearContents
    .Value = Ownership
End With
End Sub

By the way what does this mean in the code you provided for me to test?
VBA Code:
cntCritCols = 3

Thank you,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I need to get clarification of the logic.
1) If AR contains "Non-O&T Business", do we still need to test AB & AC ?
2) If AB & AC are both blank, do you still want BC to be "Non-O&T" ?

Upvote 0
I need to get clarification of the logic.
1) If AR contains "Non-O&T Business", do we still need to test AB & AC ?
2) If AB & AC are both blank, do you still want BC to be "Non-O&T" ?
If column AR is true, then the value in BC is “Non-O&T”. If column AR is false, then the value in BC is “O&T Area”. However, if column AR is blank, then Test columns AB & AC. If there is a blank in both columns AB & AC, then BC will be “Non-O&T”.

Hope that makes better sense.

Upvote 0
I would need new data from you for me to test this, but on a copy of your workbook give this a try:

VBA Code:
Sub Ownership()
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim lr As Long
Set sh = Sheets("Main")
        Select Case True
            Case D Like "*Non O&T Business*"
                Ownership(i, 1) = "Non-O&T"
            Case Not (D Like "*Non O&T Business*")
                Ownership(i, 1) = "O&T Area"
            Case D = ""
            If B Like "*Non O&T Business*" Or C Like "*Non O&T Business*" Or _
                    (B = "" And C = "") Then
                        Ownership(i, 1) = "Non-O&T"
            Else
                Ownership(i, 1) = "O&T Area"
            End If
        End Select
    Next
    .ClearContents
    .Value = Ownership
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Alex,

Thank you, I had to manipulate the code a bit to the exact verbiage for my data, but I was able to get it to work.
How can I manipulate this code to work for data that has multiple businesses. I'm looking to solve for a scenario where column BD shows "Shared" (based on sample data below), then column BG should be populated with data from columns AB-AI and AR excluding "Business" and duplicated data (looking for unique data). Would this be possible without helpers columns?

Sample Data.xlsx
ABABACADAEAFAGAHAIARBBBCBDBEBGBH
2Account NumberBL1Business NameBusiness Name 2Business Name 3Business Name 4Business Name 5Business Name 6Business Name 7Business Name 8Responsible IndividualOwnershipMain FocusOwned AreaImpactedArea
3S123456GBBusiness/TechnologyBusiness/TechnologyTechnologyETNot OwnedSharedTechnologyGB
4S456789ETBusiness/Technology/OperationsBusiness/Business/Technology/OperationsBusiness/Technology/OperationsNot OwnedSharedTechnology/OperationsGB
5S789123IGBusinessBusinessBusinessGBNot OwnedBusinessIG
6S456123PBOperationsOperationsTechnologyOwnedOpsOperationsPB
7S852741PBBusinessBusinessNot OwnedBusinessPB
8S741963ETOperations/TechnologyOperations/TechnologyOperations/OtherTechnologyOwnedTechTechnologyOperationsET
9S741852GBTechnology/Business/OperationsTechnology/Business/OperationsET/BusinessTechnologyNot OwnedSharedTechnology/OperationsGB
Main

Let me know if you need more sample data.

Thank you,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back