Macro to post values

Arcturus16a

I would like to create a macro that allows me to paste values of something copied from one range to another.

The macro should paste from the clipboard any copied range from any source (another sheet or workbook) and should paste those values into (starting at) a user-selected range.

I thought this would work, but Error msg 1004 indicates that the Paste Special method of Range has failed. What can I do to make this work?

Sub PasteValue()
Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
End Sub

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Maybe one of the answers here will help

Upvote 0
Maybe one of the answers here will help
Well certainly the one answer you refer to doesn't approach pasting values. Concatenation is not the same.
Do you have references to other answers?

Upvote 0
The macro should paste from the clipboard

Well, it shows how to copy to the clipboard and then paste from the clipboard. The concatenation part is of no consequence?
Why would you not just copy from one range and paste to another without using the clipboard? Something like

Range("A1:F1").Copy Sheets("Sheet8").Range("A1:F1")

or can use variables if the range is dynamic.

Upvote 0
Concatenate is not in my initial post, so let's please get back to my initial question.

1) I want to copy any cell or range of cells (not part of the macro);
2) Then move to some/any target cell in another range (whether same sheet or a different sheet or workbook) (also not part of the macro);
3) Then paste values using the macro that I'm asking for help

Upvote 0
Concatenate is not in my initial post, so let's please get back to my initial question.
I already said I know that and indicated it doesn't matter - the code contains a copy paste method. Moreover, you said you wanted to copy and paste to/from the clipboard - the code does that as well. Since you're fixated on the concatenation and didn't comment on the additional method I suggested in post 4, I think I cannot help you any further.

Upvote 0
Arcturus16a,

Your Selection.PasteSpecial code worked on my sheets/workbooks.

One reason for the 1004 error would be if there's nothing on the Clipboard. So before running the code, note the Paste icon in the upper left of Excel... Is it grayed out? If so then the code will throw the error.

And why would there be nothing on the Clipboard? Perhaps the workbook/sheet you're going to has a Worksheet_Change or Worksheet_SelectionChange routine (or some other routine) that empties the clipboard before you have a chance to run your PasteSpecial code.

Cheers,

Tony

Upvote 0
I use exactly the code you posted all the time, I assign it to a shortcut key and keep it in my personal.xlb file so it is always available

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back