Macro to search for input criteria and copy and paste selected cells to another sheet

jennifercorp

Hello,

I am very new to building macros and this is my first post (hopefully of many :) ). I have been able to patch together the below macro, but am not able to get it to work properly. The goal is to be able to click a button which will prompt for a loan number, once the loan number is received, it will check sheet "Retrieval Log" column "D" for a match. If a match is received I would like it to grab the data in that row and paste it to various cells on sheet "BCS Submition Form". The code that I have is below. I am currently getting a "Copy method of Range class failed error".

Thank you in advance to anyone who may be able to help! :)

Private Sub CommandButton9_Click()
Dim Prompt, LoanNumber As String
Prompt = "Loan Number"
LoanNumber = InputBox(Prompt)

If LoanNumber = "" Then Exit Sub

LastRow = Sheets("Retrieval Log").Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
For Each Cell In Sheets("Retrieval Log").Range("D1:D" & LastRow)
If Cell = LoanNumber Then
FoundRow = Cell.Row
Dim ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet
Dim r1 As Range, r2 As Range
Dim v1 As Variant, v2 As Variant

Set ws1 = Workbooks("BCS - TL - MASTER.xls").Sheets("BCS Submition Form")
Set ws2 = Workbooks("BCS - TL - MASTER.xls").Sheets("Retrieval Log")

' specify the cells that will contain information in sheet1
v1 = Array("C9", "C10", "C11", "C12", "C13", "I9", "I10", "I11", "I12", "I13", "C18", "G18", "M18", "C19", "E19", "I19", "M19", "D23", "H23", "K23", "M23", "H24", "K24", "M24", "D26", "H26", "K26", "M26", "H27", "K27", "M27", "D29", "H29", "K29", "M29", "D30", "H30", "K30", "M30", "D32", "H32", "K32", "M32", "D33", "H33", "K33", "M33", "D34", "H34", "K34", "M34", "D35", "H35", "K35", "M35", "D37", "H37", "K37", "M37", "D38", "H38", "K38", "M38", "D39", "H39", "K39", "M39", "D40", "H40", "K40", "M40", "D42", "H42", "K42", "M42", "D44", "H44", "K44", "M44", "C47", "E47", "I47", "L47", "C48", "E48", "I48", "L48", "D51", "I51", "D52", "D55", "D56", "B63", "C63", "F63", "I63", "K63", "B69", "B76")
' in the same order specify what columns that info would be
' placed in in sheet2
v2 = Array("A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P", "Q", "R", "S", "T", "U", "V", "W", "X", "Y", "Z", "AA", "AB", "AC", "AD", "AE", "AF", "AG", "AH", "AI", "AJ", "AK", "AL", "AM", "AN", "AO", "AP", "AQ", "AR", "AS", "AT", "AU", "AV", "AW", "AX", "AY", "AZ", "BA", "BB", "BC", "BD", "BE", "BF", "BG", "BH", "BI", "BJ", "BK", "BL", "BM", "BN", "BO", "BP", "BQ", "BR", "BS", "BT", "BU", "BV", "BW", "BX", "BY", "BZ", "CA", "CB", "CC", "CD", "CE", "CF", "CG", "CH", "CI", "CJ", "CK", "CL", "CM", "CN", "CO", "CP", "CQ", "CR", "CS", "CT", "CU")
' find the next open row in sheet2 using column A

Debug.Print UBound(v1), UBound(v2)
rw = ws2.Cells([FoundRow], "A")
For i = LBound(v1) To UBound(v1)
Set r1 = ws1.Range(v1(i)) '<== added a change here
Set r2 = ws2.Cells([FoundRow], v2(i))

r2.Copy r1

r2.Value = ""

Next i
End If
Next Cell
If IsEmpty(FoundRow) Then
MsgBox "Sorry, loan number " _
& LoanNumber & " was not saved for retrieval."
End If
End Sub

Thank you so much for looking at this for me.

1. Yes the loan number does appear more than once. But I need to search from the bottom up and when it finds the first loan number it can stop. I do not need it to continually loop. So this definately needs to change any specific suggestions would be appreciated.

2. The rw line of code is unnecessary and I deleted it.

3. Done, thank you.

4. The code runs fine until
Code:
r2.Copy r1
after that it actually jumps to the next sub and produces a copy method of range class failed!

Code:
r1 = ws1.Range("C9")
and
Code:
r2 = ws2.Cells(6/25/2012)
<---which is the value of A3 on ws1. So it looks like it is pulling data that I want it to. I just don't understand why it would just jump to the next sub like that! Crazy stuff.

Thank you again!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Thanks!

I removed the 1 but still get the same error "Copy Method of Range Class Failed" Right now I am at:

Debug.Print UBound(v2), UBound(v1)
rw = ws2.Cells(FoundRow, "A")
For i = LBound(v2) To UBound(v2)
Set r1 = ws1.Range(v1(i)) '<== Removed (1)
Set r2 = ws2.Cells(FoundRow, v2(i))

Thank you for the reply and please let me know if you have any other ideas.

The only thing I can see from visual analysis, is that "FoundRow" is not declared in your Dim statement.
I would declare it as a Long and see if that fixes the compiler's dilemma.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back