Macro VBA to Change Logo on Multiple Workbooks - Help

sibley14

Ok so this out of my depth a little since i'm a beginner at macros and VBA's...so here is my problem:

I have a folder full of workbooks (delivery notes) for each of our customers.
Each workbook contains our old logo at the top
Since we have now re-branded i wondered if we could use a macro to change all of the old logo's from each sheet to update to the new logo.

I don't even know if this is possible - however i have watched the video of someone who built a rollercoaster in excel so i beleive that this is possible....can anyone help/advise/point me in the right direction on this.

Happy to show you the sheet, screenshots etc if required.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
The big challange is determining which picture on your sheets have to be replaced and how making sure that pictures other that the company logo are not replaced.

Can you think of a rule to be used to firmly identify the right picture to replace (this is a real question)?

Also, why should you modify the older documents (having the old logo), and not only the models you use to create the new ones, with the new logo?

Bye

Upvote 0
Hi Anthony47

Thank you for responding to me so quickly - you have raised some very valid questions - thanks.

The old picture/logo features on about 964 different delivery notes/Workbooks. Each of these is specific to a customer/order and we don't alter them as they get used during re-orders etc.

The picture/logo sits across the top of each workbook in exactly the same position and is not in a particular cell - however it is specified as 'PICTURE 1' in the name/cell box. This is the same for every single sheet since we created them from a blank master copy.

The only rule i can think of is to write a macro that will replace the picture/logo in the name/cell box 'PICTURE 1' on a sheet when it is opened. That way it could then be saved as a new workbook. Alternatively maybe the file name of the picture could be used?

There is only 1 picture/logo per workbook.

Going through and modifying every single delivery note/workbook that we use is a very very time consuming job and if thats the approach we have to take then so be it - however i was hoping that there might be a better/faster/ingenious solution using excel.

Thanks for your questions and response.

Upvote 0
Just to prevent catastophic results:
-do the workbooks to rework have a specific string in their names?
-are they stored in a single directory or are they distributed in the filesystem?
-which version of Excel would be used for the conversion (XL2003 would be better, as the new XL2010 by default do not "embed" images but only "link" to the file on the disc)

Bye

Upvote 0
Hi Anthony,
- The workbooks each have their own title ie the company/customer name so they are each individually named
- they are stored in a shared folder on a pc i.e documents > excel delivery notes....etc
- we all use version XL2007

I hope that this helps - thanks again.

Upvote 0
I don't feel confortable in going on with this development, because I seem that we miss a firm criteria to identify the files to manipulate.
For example we dont have a string in the filename to search, nor I am sure that the directory we will search in contains only files to manipulate, nor I know how many sheets the file contains and whether or not the sheet to rework has a specific name or index.
Therefore I shall adopt the following precautions:
-you are asked to create enough back up copies of your files, as I cannot guarantee that my macro is error free nor that it will behave as expected in your environment.
-after the macro starts, the user will select the directory to look in
-the macro will look for files in the format "*.xls*" (xls, xlsx, xslm, ....) and open them one by one
-if any of the worksheets is protected we shall skip that file
-if the file contains one picture (only one) then we shall go on:
--the picture will be replaced with a new one, in the same position of the removed one.
--the replacement picture will not be resized in any way, so it has to exist with the correct size
--the file will be saved with the same name BUT in a subdirectory named LOGONEW of the current path
--the file name will be saved in a log sheet along with few other information.
At the end of the process you will examine the new files and determine if they are to replace the old ones, and manually move them from the subdirectory to the main path, if this is necessary.
This is obtained (probably) by the following macro:
Code:
Sub ReBrand()
'see http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/834918-macro-visual-basic-applications-change-logo-multiple-workbooks-help.html
'by Anthony47
Dim PCount As Long, I As Long, Candid As Long, myPath As String, myFFile As String
Dim LogSh As Worksheet, LogoPos As String, newLogo As String, NextLogLine As Long
Dim mySk As Long, myRep As Long, myTim As Single
'
newLogo = "C:\Users\USER\Pictures\1971_002.jpg"        '<<< The New Logo Path & Name
'
'Warning message:
rispo = MsgBox("You will be asked to select the Directory with the file to rebrand" & vbCrLf _
    & "That Directory MUST HAVE an empty subdir named ""LOGONEW""" _
    & vbCrLf & "Press Ok to continue, or Cancel to abort the Process", vbOKCancel)
If rispo <> vbOK Then Exit Sub

'Get the path of the files:
With Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
    .Show
    If .SelectedItems.Count = 0 Then
        MsgBox ("No any selection, procedure is aborted")
        Exit Sub
    End If
    myPath = .SelectedItems.Item(1)
End With
'
'Ready to start:
myTim = Timer
Set LogSh = ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)      'We will log the activities on this sheet
'
myFFile = Dir(myPath & "\*.xls*")       'get first file name
Application.EnableEvents = False
Do
    PCount = 0
    If myFFile = "" Then Exit Do        'Exit when non file
    Workbooks.Open myPath & "\" & myFFile
    'Log name of file:
    NextLogLine = LogSh.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row + 1
    LogSh.Cells(NextLogLine, 1) = myFFile
    'Count how many pics:
    For I = 1 To Worksheets.Count
        LogSh.Cells(NextLogLine, 2).Offset(0, I) = Sheets(I).Name
        If Sheets(I).Pictures.Count > 0 Then
            PCount = PCount + Sheets(I).Pictures.Count
            If Sheets(I).ProtectContents Then PCount = 999
            'Log info on the sheets:
            LogSh.Cells(NextLogLine, 2).Offset(0, I).Value = "*--" & PCount & "--*--" & Sheets(I).Name
            Candid = I
        End If
        If PCount > 1 Then      '>1, non need to scan more sheets
            Exit For
        End If
    Next I
    If PCount = 1 Then          'File is candidate for rebranding
        Worksheets(Candid).Select
        If UCase(Left(ActiveSheet.Pictures(1).Name, 7)) = "PICTURE" Then
        'ok, rebrand:
            ActiveSheet.Pictures(1).Select
            LogoPos = Selection.TopLeftCell.Address
            Selection.Delete
            Range(LogoPos).Select
            ActiveSheet.Pictures.Insert(newLogo).Select
            Range("A1").Select
            'Log result:
            LogSh.Cells(NextLogLine, 2).Value = ">>>>>: " & LogoPos
            myRep = myRep + 1
            'Save in the new subdir:
            ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs (myPath & "\LOGONEW\" & myFFile)
        Else
        'Log result:
            LogSh.Cells(NextLogLine, 2).Value = "SKIPPED--" & PCount
            mySk = mySk + 1
        End If
    Else
    'log result:
        LogSh.Cells(NextLogLine, 2).Value = "SKIPPED--" & PCount
        mySk = mySk + 1
    End If
    Workbooks(myFFile).Close savechanges:=False     'Close

myFFile = Dir           'Next file
Loop
Application.EnableEvents = True
'
'Final message:
MsgBox ("Completed in (secs): " & Format(Timer - myTim, "0.00") & vbCrLf _
    & "Replaced: " & myRep & vbCrLf & "Skipped: " & mySk)
End Sub
Start from an empty workbook, whose Sheets(1) will be used to log information on the file processed; press Alt-F11 to open the macro environment; Menu /Insert /Module; copy the code and past it into the frame at the right.
Personalize the line marked "<<<" with the full path and name of the new logo.
Return to the Excel sheet, save the workbook, then run the macro "ReBrand" (Alt-F8, select ReBrand from the list of available macros, press Run).
You will then be asked to select the directory where the files are located; the files will be open one by one and processed as I sayd before.

Sheet(1) of the file will be used to log what happen with the files; here it is an example of report
Code:
Paris_B40518.xlsx        SKIPPED--2       *--2--*--Foglio1	
SCR_emails.xlsx          SKIPPED--0       Emittente_Gestore	
SCR_Overview.xlsx        >>>>>: $E$20     Mappa               *--1--*--Overview
Tabelline.xlsm           SKIPPED--999     *--999--*--Foglio1
First column is the name of the file
Second column is the result:
-skipped--2 means skipped because the file have at least 2 Pictures
-skipped--0 means that no Picture was found
-skipped--999 means that a sheet having Pictures is protected
->>>>>:$E$20 means that the file was "rebranded" and the new logo was set in cell E20 (TopLeft corner) of the sheet named Overview.
Third and subsequent columns contains the sheet name and the number of Pictures (if any); if the number of Pictures is higher than 1, subsequent sheets are not scanned

Don't forget backupping the data before running; I did some testing on a simple environment, and cannot guarantee that everithing will be ok.

Hope this is of some benefit...

Upvote 0
Hi Anthony47,

thank you so much for your assistance with this. I will do exactly as you have mentioned over the weekend and let you know the outcome. Don't worry i will make sure that all files are backed up before i proceed with some testing. Really appreciate your time and effort on this.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back