MACRO won't use CSE Formula (Array Formula)

johnnyb5

Board Regular
I use 7 CSE Formulas on a large spreadsheet (one at a time though). When I type them in manually they work fine. However, they are very long so I wanted a MACRO to type them for me. When I try to record this with a MACRO it won't work. Does anyone know if CSE formulas can be used with MACROs or VBA code.

My CSE Formula looks like this:
Range("C2").Select
Selection.FormulaArray = _
"=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:$A2,$A2)=COUNTIF(LIN,$A2), TRIM(ACONCAT(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(EIC<>"",IF(LIN=$A2, MATCH(EIC,EIC,0))),IVEC),""&EIC,""))),"")"

The MACRO changes the cell names to R1C1 format and the code won't appear in the cell (C2) when I stop recording and try to use it. Is there a proper format for using CSE formulas in VBA???

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
First of all the R1C1 code below works fine for me from the recorder

Code:
    Range("C2").FormulaArray = _
        "=IF(COUNTIF(R2C1:R[-12]C1,R[-12]C1)=COUNTIF(LIN,R[-12]C1), TRIM(ACONCAT(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(EIC<>"""",IF(LIN=R[-12]C1, MATCH(EIC,EIC,0))),IVEC),""""&EIC,""""))),"""")"

As for why your code isn't working it is probably just that you haven't doubled your quotes (see how they appear in the R1C1 FORMULA).

I haven't double checked it but try

Code:
 "=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:$A2,$A2)=COUNTIF(LIN,$A2), TRIM(ACONCAT(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(EIC<>"""",IF(LIN=$A2, MATCH(EIC,EIC,0))),IVEC),""""&EIC,""""))),"""")"

Upvote 0
First of all the R1C1 code below works fine for me from the recorder

Code:
        "=IF(COUNTIF(R2C1:R[-12]C1,R[-12]C1)=COUNTIF(LIN,R[-12]C1), TRIM(ACONCAT(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(EIC<>"""",IF(LIN=R[-12]C1, MATCH(EIC,EIC,0))),IVEC),""""&EIC,""""))),"""")"

As for why your code isn't working it is probably just that you haven't doubled your quotes (see how they appear in the R1C1 FORMULA).

I haven't double checked it but try

Code:
 "=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:$A2,$A2)=COUNTIF(LIN,$A2), TRIM(ACONCAT(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(EIC<>"""",IF(LIN=$A2, MATCH(EIC,EIC,0))),IVEC),""""&EIC,""""))),"""")"

Yes Indeed!! My problem with the CSE formulas working inside a MACRO does in fact appear to be the double quotes. It did take a while to correct and run all seven of them but your astute eye and advice were correct.
Thanks Again Mark!
John

Upvote 0
Hi John, just to point out that the double quotes don't apply to just array (CSE) formula in VBA, it applies to all formula.
If you want quotes to appear in the formula then you need to double them else VBA thinks you want to put in an empty string.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oksanana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back