Macros being disabled by OneNote

LoneStarPiper

Hello,

For years, my company has used a template in OneNote for each customer. Each page contains an excel file that contains macros. Now, I believe a new update by Microsoft has disabled macros within OneNote. The excel file works fine from a desktop, but when opened inside OneNote it automatically shuts them down. I have the settings in the trust center (excel) to enable VMA macros & enable excel 4.0 macros. I've also removed the check marks from all of the Protected view options.

Because OneNote creates a "temp" file when you open it, and then saves it into itself (so you don't have the save the excel file to a disk location), I assume the issue is that it's opening from an untrusted location on a temp folder. I've added a few trusted locations within excel, including subfolders, but that doesnt' seem to help either.

This issue is stopping our business in it's tracks. We use this every day. Any help would be appreciated.

I created a screen shot video to demonstrate the issue: Uploading

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Nice job of including an actual video, which answered all of the questions I was going to ask you.

I assume the issue is that it's opening from an untrusted location on a temp folder.
I would agree with this assessment, especially based on the error banner you get when you open the file.

I used OneNote to insert an Excel sheet (Insert > Spreadsheet > New Excel Spreadsheet), and also just embed the file. In both cases the folder was

C:\Users\Jeff\AppData\Local\Temp\OneNote\16.0\Exported\{4EAAA1BF-781E-4CFB-933A-D02F881D7B9B}\NT\2

I suggest you set the Exported folder as trusted and also check the box to trust subfolders.

Upvote 0
@6StringJazzer , thank you for the reply. I think this is the correct route. However, when I enter the path as a trusted location, Excel rejects it, saying "path cannot be used as a trusted location". I then tried to add it through the registry, which the computer allowed, but now it shows up grayed out in Excel and the issue is not corrected. Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0
For the time being, I've rolled back the version of Office on the culprit computer and it's no longer an issue. That's a frustrating issue that seems like a solution to a non-existent problem by Microsoft. Hopefully I can find a workaround one day, but for now, we'll stick with the Dec 22 build. Thank you.

Upvote 0
I got the same result, which I think normally occurs if you are trying to specify a network server. I did not pursue how to get it to work.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back