Macros do not remain assigned to toolbar buttons in new session of Excel

MPerlman

I am running Excel 2003. I have 16 Macros that I have created for one of my projects. They do remain from session to session.
I have assigned each Macro to a toolbar button. However, the Macros do not remain assigned to the buttons after I have closed a session of Excel 2003. The next session I must reassign them all over again. Clicking on a toolbar button in a new session produces a comment that the Macro cannot be found (see attached CannotBeFound.jpg), even though it clearly is there in the Macro list (see attached ClearlyExists.jpg).
I have also noticed that a Toolbar Button that I created for a certain Macro is missing from the Toolbar in a new session.

It appears that my Excel11.xlb is not being updated after the Macros are assigned. Or something else adverse is happening.

Thank you for reading and giving my problem your attention.

Attachments

• CannotBeFound.jpg
    CannotBeFound.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 12
  • ClearlyExists.jpg
    ClearlyExists.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Can you try running this?

VBA Code:
Sub WhereIsPersonal()
msgbox workbooks("Personal.xls").path
end sub

and check if that path matches the one in the error message in your first picture.

Upvote 0
Can you try running this?

VBA Code:
Sub WhereIsPersonal()
msgbox workbooks("Personal.xls").path
end sub

and check if that path matches the one in the error message in your first picture.
How do i go about running that? Where do i type it in or paste it?

Upvote 0
Paste it into a module, click somewhere within the code and press f5

Upvote 0
I have discovered a fix for my problem. It works. I don't know why it works and I really don't care as long as it continues to work.

Basically, I found two files Excel11.xlb on my hard drive. One in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel and the other in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART.

After I reassigned my buttons to the correct macros and closed Excel 2003, I copied the Excel11.xlb that was in C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel onto my Desktop.

If I opened Excel 2003 normally, the buttons were unassigned as before. However, if I opened the Excel11.xlb file that I copied onto my Desktop (or opened it from C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel) and Excel2003 opened with it, all the buttons were assigned properly. It did not work if I ran the Excel11.xlb file that was in XLSTART.

Before I bought my new computer with Windows 10, the naysayers were telling me , that Office 2003 will work on Windows 10, but Excel 2003 will not, and it is about time I progressed into the new versions of Office. Well, I wish to go on record that Office 2003 works in Windows 10, and so does Excel 2003. One just has to be a bit inventive.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back