Macros not working

angel34

Board Regular
I migrated last week from a computer running Office 2007 on Windows 7 to a new computer running Office Professional 2010 plus on Windows 10. I am facing a weird problem since then. None of my macros seem to work on my new computer. My macros are all proven and have worked flawlessly for years.

I tried he following in order to solve the problem with no luck.

1. Enabled macros from Macro Security-->Macro Settings-->Disable all macros with notification so that they can be enabled when the workbook opens.

2. To rule out incompatibility issues, I have saved all workbooks containing macros in .xlsm format in Office 2010.

3. Macros created are all workbook specific hence stored in the respective workbooks and not in a Personal Macro Workbook). Hence, I guess, I could not find a .xlsb file in the XLStart folder (C/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Excel/XLStart). I thought of copying it in the XLStart folder of my new computer.

I do not know of any other measure that I could take at this moment so that the macros start working again.

I am at my wits end what to do about this problem further and is completely clueless about how to recover my macros since they are quite large in number and I do not have the time to recreate them. I shall be extremely thankful if somebody kindly guide me figure out the solution.

Are you sure that the files aren't blocked by Windows? if you are transferring them from the other other computers via email, shared server or via the net then they probably are.

Easiest way to check is to right click the file - click properties - click the General tab and look near the bottom and see if you have an Unblock box as below in the image. If you do then check the box and click OK.

View attachment 82490
Upon checking, the files are not blocked by Windows. I think it is also worth mentioning that the laptop I am currently using was recently reformatted. I don't know if this have an effect on the Excel app, especially the macros, but ever since this laptop was reformatted, the macros were not working anymore. On some files, I also encounter the error message "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications: File Not Found".

Note that all the Excel files I'm trying to open works fine before the reformatting.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Upon checking, the files are not blocked by Windows. I think it is also worth mentioning that the laptop I am currently using was recently reformatted. I don't know if this have an effect on the Excel app, especially the macros, but ever since this laptop was reformatted, the macros were not working anymore. On some files, I also encounter the error message "Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications: File Not Found".

Note that all the Excel files I'm trying to open works fine before the reformatting.
That DEFINITELY indicates an issue with that particular computer.
In sounds like you may have an incomplete installation.
I would recommend reinstalling Office, and be sure to apply all updates and patches.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back