Macros showing up in Tools menu

Tim Francis-Wright

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
An Excel 2003 question:

I am revising a couple of spreadsheets for a client. And one thing is driving me batty. When either of the files is opened, certain VBA macros appear in the tools menu.

I cannot find a macro sheet with any macro that accesses any toolbars. There does not seem to be an auto_open macro in either file, or any macros associated with any Excel objects.

What might I have overlooked? The good news is that the behavior is only annoying, not dangerous.

--tim francis-wright

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Assuming you have checked for Workbook_Open code, check for references to other workbooks and macro sheets. Do you get a macro warning when opening them?

Upvote 0
Assuming you have checked for Workbook_Open code, check for references to other workbooks and macro sheets. Do you get a macro warning when opening them?

I saved a version of my workbook with all of the macros in the modules deleted. (I need the macros for the working version.) I do indeed still get a macro warning. I made all of the file's worksheets visible via VBA, and none of the sheets were macro sheets, so there seems to be some hidden code. Any ideas of where it would be?

Upvote 0
All of the add-ins list under Tools/Add-Ins are my old comfortable favorites, and the Personal Macro Workbook does not exist (I never use it). In fact, the XLSTART directory is empty.

Any other ideas? This is really bugging me.

Upvote 0
Unless you actually remove the modules themselves, you will still get the warning. Did you clear out the ThisWorkbook and all the Worksheet modules too?

Upvote 0
A couple of other things:
1. Are you opening Excel first (and checking the Tools menu) and then opening the workbooks or are you opening them straight from Explorer?
2. Are there any toolbars attached to the workbook?

Upvote 0
A couple of other things:
1. Are you opening Excel first (and checking the Tools menu) and then opening the workbooks or are you opening them straight from Explorer?
The behavior is the same in either case.
2. Are there any toolbars attached to the workbook?
Not that I can tell.

Anyway, I double-checked that there was no code in any of the workbook's objects and deleted the modules. That got rid of the macro warning, but the macro names still showed in the tools menu. (They also appeared if I set macro security to Very High.) Selecting the macro on the menu gives an error in that the macro in the workbook was not found.

Upvote 0
Is the workbook confidential or can you email it or post it somewhere?

Upvote 0
Is the workbook confidential or can you email it or post it somewhere?

Alas, it is confidential, but let me see what happens if I delete a bunch of sheets--if the behavior still happens, then perhaps I can post something.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back