Macros Stopped Working on One Computer "Cant Exit Design Mode Because Control..."

tampaC66

Hi All,

I am having a really frustrating time figuring out what's going on here so i'm hoping that someone else might be able to help.

I've created an excel file that has quite a bit of VBA in it. Everything works fine until the guy I work with opens the file on his computer (via the network). Once he opens and saves the file, the macros/buttons no longer work on my computer and I get the following error:

"Can't exit design mode because Control cannot be created."

Everything still works fine on his computer (and everyone else in the office) but not on mine.

The file is a template that we use for every project we get. We have the same problem with each project-specific file, not just one.

I've tried installing the Microsoft hot fix for activex controls that was released a while back, but that didnt work. The trust center settings all look fine. I've tried everything I can think of, but I haven't had any luck.

Has anyone else come across this? I really need to get this fixed.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I have not see this, but is the Guy running the same Excel version as you?
if so,
If it is a new version 2010 the macros MUST be saved as .xlsm. Any other way will erase the VB code.

?

Upvote 0
I have not see this, but is the Guy running the same Excel version as you?
if so,
If it is a new version 2010 the macros MUST be saved as .xlsm. Any other way will erase the VB code.

?

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried it on 3 computers besides mine. It works on all of the other computers.

Everyone is running excel 2010. I am on version 14. Everyone else is on version 14 or 15.

Its not the exact same version. Mine is 14.0.7116.5000.

Upvote 0
And the xlsm?

Its POSSIBLE that Guy is missing something...on his PC, open the workbook, open VBE, click tools, references.
Is anything checked say MISSING?

Upvote 0
And the xlsm?

Its POSSIBLE that Guy is missing something...on his PC, open the workbook, open VBE, click tools, references.
Is anything checked say MISSING?

It is still saved as an xlsm.

I checked his computer and he has the same references checked and nothing that says "missing".

Any other ideas? :(

Upvote 0
[Solved] Macros Stopped Working on One Computer "Cant Exit Design Mode Because Control..."

Ghostbusters, because I cant see how this is possible.

For anyone else who has this issue, I fixed it. It turns out that whoever had this computer before me turned off automatic windows updates. So, after downloading a few years worth of updates everything started working again. My excel still shows version 14.0.xxxxx so im not sure if it was an excel update or something else, but one of them fixed the issue.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back