Macro's that I created are disappearing when I send the file to somebody???

Mark McInerney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

Any help on this greatly appreciated.

I have a workbook that has some basic macros. They are working fine - but when I email that same file to somebody, the macros are not there??

Is there a way to ensure that the macros are saved with the file that I am sending?

I do not need the macros on the file, to be available to any new worksheet that I create.

Best - Mark.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Where are you storing the macro's that you are creating? and what filetype are you saving the file as before sending?

Upvote 0
It could be an email or security setting.
Some may automatically strip the VBA code out of the files, as they could be used for malicious purposes.

So you may want to check those things, on both ends, first.
If this is within or between companies, you may want to check with the Security department.

Upvote 0
HI - Thank you for reviewing my post - appreciated. The files are being sent to multiple people - most of whom would not really understand the security protocol's that they are working to.

I did note that some of the macros were stored in module.3 and module.5 - would this make a difference? I asssume Excel allows you to store Macros separate to the file, to ensure that they are available to you when creating new files - is it possible to specify that the macros are just stored on the file that you are working on?

Thanks again - Mark.

Upvote 0
A workbook can have multiple modules, so that should not be a problem (provided that you save them to modules in that particular workbook).
Did you see Mark's question? Can you confirm that?

Here is a good test. Try emailing the file to yourself. When you extract it from the email and open it, are the Macros there? If not, then the problem is may be on your side, and you should check your settings.

Note that it could be the result of a Virus Check or Firewall settings.

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,

Sorry - never spotted your post.

I'm using simple macros to control how somebody moves to different locations on the screen. In short, I select Record Macro, simply Press CTRL Home, to bring me to A1, and then scroll down to the area of the worksheet that I am looking for. I simply assign the macro to a button.

To be honest - I just save the file. It was working fine for days, but now when I open the file, some of them are gone. In some cases, some of them are still working when I open the file on my PC, but when I email to another person.....the macros are not there?

Thanks Mark for taking a look at this - appreicated.

Upvote 0
I select Record Macro, simply Press CTRL Home, to bring me to A1, and then scroll down to the area of the worksheet that I am looking for
When you get the record dialog box come up what is in the Store macro in Box before you click OK?

1612280953049.png

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay on this - just spotted your reply - the Macros that I was inserting were being used to simply scroll up and down - I have replaced with hypertext that is linked to a specific cell and it is working fine - Thank you for taking the time to review my query - appreciated.

Mark.

Upvote 0
I didn't actually ask what the macro was doing, what I was asking is when you record the macro where is it set up to be stored. If it was was set up for example to the Personal Workbook then it would save to your computer and not to the file.

Having said that I'm happy that you have found a workaround that does what you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back