Mail Merge from Excel to word

Glacombe

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to mail merge from Excel into Word 2016. Am I right that the fill colour formatting I have used to highlight cells in Excel won't transfer to Word with the mail merge?

Is it possible to merge the colour formatting also?

Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
On the data get merged, not attributes like colouring, bold, etc. You would need to replicate the logic in Word that you used in Excel to produce the colouring.

See, for example, Conditionally Format Mailmerge Output and Conditionally Shade Table Cells in the Mailmerge Tips and Tricks thread at:

Upvote 0
On the data get merged, not attributes like colouring, bold, etc. You would need to replicate the logic in Word that you used in Excel to produce the colouring.

See, for example, Conditionally Format Mailmerge Output and Conditionally Shade Table Cells in the Mailmerge Tips and Tricks thread at:
Thank you will check it out, also one more question about getting the data that matches the formatting of the source. I have the following formula that inputs the data from one worksheet to another in the same workbook and I would like to add the fill colour of that data to it. What would I add to my existing formula that would replicate the fill colour of the source cell which is the following:
=INDEX('Talent Management'!$U:$U,MATCH($B2,'Talent Management'!$B:$B,FALSE))

Upvote 0
I have a difficult time understanding the formulas in the Tips and Tricks, would it be possible to give me an example of the exact wording of that merge field code please? The following are the text and there is a colour associated for each:

WELL-PLACED IN ROLE - purple
READY FOR ADVANCEMENT - green
DEVELOP IN ROLE - yellow
SECONDED OUT - orange
TRANSITION TO RETIREMENT - blue
READY FOR LATERAL MOVEMENT - red
MOVE TO MORE SUITABLE ROLE - pink

Thanks

Thank you will check it out, also one more question about getting the data that matches the formatting of the source. I have the following formula that inputs the data from one worksheet to another in the same workbook and I would like to add the fill colour of that data to it. What would I add to my existing formula that would replicate the fill colour of the source cell which is the following:
=INDEX('Talent Management'!$U:$U,MATCH($B2,'Talent Management'!$B:$B,FALSE))

Upvote 0
You can do that quite easily using the Conditionally Format Mailmerge Output example.

{IF«MyField»= "WELL*" «MyField» \* Charformat}
{IF«MyField»= "*ADVANCEMENT" «MyField» \* Charformat}
{IF«MyField»= "DEVELOP*" «MyField» \* Charformat}
{IF«MyField»= "SECONDED*" «MyField» \* Charformat}
{IF«MyField»= "TRANSITION*" «MyField» \* Charformat}
{IF«MyField»= "*MOVEMENT" «MyField» \* Charformat}
{IF«MyField»= "MOVE*" «MyField» \* Charformat}

where 'MyField' is your field name and the 'I' in each 'IF' is formatted the way you want the output to appear.

Note: I've used the * wildcard to simplify the field code tests.

Upvote 0
I am trying to mail merge from Excel into Word 2016. Am I right that the fill colour formatting I have used to highlight cells in Excel won't transfer to Word with the mail merge?

Is it possible to merge the colour formatting also?

Can anyone help?
you save excel format 97-2003

Upvote 0
Good morning, Its not working for me, when I change the recipient list, it asks me to either connect to the following, which one should I use? Could that be my problem
+Connect to New Data Source.odc
+New SQLServerConnection.odc

Upvote 0
I what way is it not working for you? Simply saying it's not working is hardly conducive to resolving anything.

Why are you changing the recipient list?

Upvote 0
I what way is it not working for you? Simply saying it's not working is hardly conducive to resolving anything.

Why are you changing the recipient list?
When I insert all 7 merge field codes you mentioned above, it shows the actual merge field codes instead of the correct one of the 7. Also, I had to change the recipient list as the column the merge field codes refers to was not in the original list

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back