Mail Merge from Excel to word

Glacombe

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to mail merge from Excel into Word 2016. Am I right that the fill colour formatting I have used to highlight cells in Excel won't transfer to Word with the mail merge?

Is it possible to merge the colour formatting also?

Can anyone help?

That suggests you haven't read the very first note in the link:
Note 1: The field brace pairs (i.e. '{ }') for the following examples are all created in the mailmerge main document itself, via Ctrl-F9 (Cmd-F9 on a Mac); you can't simply type them or copy & paste them from here. Nor is it practicable (for the most part) to add them via the standard Word dialogues. Likewise, you can't type or copy & paste the chevrons (i.e. '« »') - they're part of the actual mergefields, inserted via the 'Insert Merge Field' dropdown. The spaces represented in the field constructions are all required. Instead of the →, ↵ and ¶ symbols shown in the examples, you should use real tabs and line/paragraph breaks, respectively.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
That suggests you haven't read the very first note in the link:
Thank you and yes I am aware that you cannot manually type them in as I have used the Ctl F9 to insert the curly brackets, I also am aware that '« »' are part of the actual mergefields

Upvote 0
If you're doing this correctly, there cannot be "actual merge field codes instead of the correct one of the 7" in the output document. Indeed, there cannot be any mergefields in the output document. Are you actually completing the merge, via 'Finish & Merge'?

Upvote 0
If you're doing this correctly, there cannot be "actual merge field codes instead of the correct one of the 7" in the output document. Indeed, there cannot be any mergefields in the output document. Are you actually completing the merge, via 'Finish & Merge'?
Good morning, yes I am completing the merge, via 'Finish & Merge'

Upvote 0
If you're doing all you say you are, neither the mergefields nor the IF tests will exist in the output document - it simply isn't possible.

Upvote 0
I have the merge codes within a table cell, would that cause the problem why the result is showing blank?

Upvote 0
No, that would not be the cause.

Perhaps you could upload your document to a file hosting site such as OneDrive and post a link her so I can take a look at it.

Upvote 0
Solution
No, that would not be the cause.

Perhaps you could upload your document to a file hosting site such as OneDrive and post a link her so I can take a look at it.
OMG thank you Macropod, it finally actually worked, would you believe that because my data in my workbook is in "capital letters" and my merge field codes were not. That was as simple as that, wish I would known that it was case sensitive.

Upvote 0
You can accommodate the used of mixed upper/lower case by editing the first «MyField» in each expression. For example, with:
{IF«MyField»= "WELL*" «MyField» \* Charformat}
select the first «MyField» and press Shift-F9 to expose the field code. The field will now look like:
{IF{MERGEFIELD MyField}= "WELL*" «MyField» \* Charformat}
or:
{IF{MERGEFIELD MyField \* MERGEFORMAT}= "WELL*" «MyField» \* Charformat}
Edit the field code so you get:
{IF{MERGEFIELD MyField \* Upper}= "WELL*" «MyField» \* Charformat}
Press F9 when you're done. This will convert the first «MyField»'s output to all upper-case for testing purposes.

Having edited that field, you can copy/paste it over the first «MyField» in each of the remaining expressions

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back