MailMerge - Auto Delete Blank Columns?

ZachExcel

Hello!

I’m not sure if this is an excel question, word question, or combination of both.

I export data daily to a CSV (my only option).

Same 200 columns every time. Sometimes though, each column doesn’t have a value. Imagine columns A, B, and C. One day those will all have a value, one day B may not have a value.

I would like to mail merge this data into Word. It will have the same template as well (more manageable and not in columns).

Is there a way to either auto delete that blank column in excel? OR is there a way to tell mail merge to complete the mail merge fields but ONLY if it has a value listed?

So if I had:

A
B
C

In the word document for mail merge from the excel file, but no value for B, it would show as:

A
C

Without a blank space where B would have been if it had a value.

Please let me know if that needs clarification and I am very appreciative and thankful for any suggestions or solutions. It would make processing data much easier for me (versus copy/paste from excel to word...which I’ve been doing)! ?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
A mailmerge can't modify columns (fields) or rows (records) in the data source. However, field coding in Word can be used to suppress the output for empty records. Where a given field has no records, the result would be no output for that field. See Mailmerge Empty Space Suppression and Mailmerge Empty Line Suppression in the Mailmerge Tips and Tricks thread at: http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merge/21803-mailmerge-tips-tricks.html

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back