Mailmerge in UK Date Format??

gonzalraf

OK. Please read this carefully before replying as I know how to mail merge dates but for some reason its not working properly.

On a spreadsheet I have a list of dates that mail merge to Word 2010, in order to invite people for interview. The dates merge as dates BUT seem to mess up.

ie: if its bringing across from excel 24/12/2011 (so 24 December 2011) it works fine as the date doesnt work any other way round. So Word shows "24 December 2011" HOWEVER....
If its bringing across 12/11/2011 (so 12 November 2011), Word will display it as "11 December 2011." So it works for some dates, but then flips others as if the dates are American.

In excel the cells are formatted to dates in format 14/03/2001 (as it shows in the options) with Locale as English UK.

In word i have MERGEFIELD "Int_Date" \@ "DD MMMM YYYY"

I have no idea what's wrong. I have other spreadsheets that bring the information across fine, but it seems to be just this one. Is there any option anywhere ive missed or anything else i can try to make this work?? I've tried using different computers... older versions of Office but it makes no difference. I cant not use this spreadsheet as it has thousands of records.

To confirm i am using the latest 2010 version of office.

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I'm having the same trouble. Working in 2007, I have a spreadsheet with Start Date and Finish Date, both formatted exactly the same, but in Word the start date comes across correctly but the finish date comes across as an excel number e.g. 41302. I have formatted both merge fields the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have formatted both merge fields the same.

How have you formatted the mergefield? It sounds to me as though one of your entries is actually text (and hence displays the same in both) whilst the other is a date, and is coming across as the literal numeric value of that date.

Upvote 0

Thank you for this

- I'm working in Excel 2007 and couldn't find the commands to switch to DDE?
- I use the date fields for calculations elsewhere on the spreadsheet so changing them to text isn't an option.

I've posted a new thread with details of the switch I'm using as notification of your replies went into my junk mail, sorry!

the switch is MERGEFIELD "Leave_Date__"\@ "MMMM d, yyyy"

Upvote 0
How have you formatted the mergefield? It sounds to me as though one of your entries is actually text (and hence displays the same in both) whilst the other is a date, and is coming across as the literal numeric value of that date.

I'm merging from Excel 2007 to Word 2007.
I have two date fields - Start Date and Leave Date.

Both are formatted exactly the same in the Excel Spreadsheet:
Start Date 01 July 2011
Leave Date 11 May 2012

and both have exactly the same switch in the word document:
{MERGEFIELD "Start_Date__"\@ "MMMM d, yyyy" }
{MERGEFIELD "Leave_Date__"\@ "MMMM d, yyyy" }

but although the Start Date comes through as July 1, 2011
the leave date comes through as 41040 instead of May 11, 2012

Upvote 0

thank you - I've read through gmayor's suggestions and checked that I have the right switch but it's still not working.

both fields have exactly the same switch in the word document:
{MERGEFIELD "Start_Date__"\@ "MMMM d, yyyy" }
{MERGEFIELD "Leave_Date__"\@ "MMMM d, yyyy" }

but although the Start Date comes through as July 1, 2011
the leave date comes through as 41040 instead of May 11, 2012

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back