maintaing link even if the worksheet is copy to new workshee

wavemehello

Board Regular
Hi there,
sheet 1 (january) has some data, I used paste link to paste the data of sheet 1 in new worksheet (xyz). but when sheet 1(january) is copied to new sheet 2(february) and changes made in sheet2(february) it does not reflect to xyz. How to maintain the link even if the original worksheet is copied to new worksheet?

lastly, uhm, do u understand what I mean?

regards
Aj

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Think about it ... you are asking Excel to maintain the link when you are copying, but in theory you could copy your stuff many many times ... what logic would you expect this maintenance to follow? BUT, how about if you MOVED your stuff ... then links would be maintained.

Upvote 0
If I move, I cant trace changes of each month

The reason that I copy the worksheet to new worksheet at the end of each month is that I can trace what changes I have made for each month, if I move the worksheet, I cant trace the changes. This way at the end of the year, there will be 12 worksheet for each month all updated month by month.

Is there a way as I want it to be? It would be great help!

AJ

Upvote 0
Move it to the new worksheet, then copy it back to it's original place!

Upvote 0
Let me explain

My HR officer has a worksheet with 300 staff information as name, dob, empno, etc. At the end of every month he copies the sheet and renames it to new month and continues work so that he can trace changes made in each month.

My training manager wants to use partial information of the staff for his training tracking database. I tried paste link the necesary columns in a new worksheet it works, but when the HR officer copies his worksheet to new worksheet, the training managers link is gone! Is there a way to continue the link for my training manager such that even if the HR officer copies the worksheet to new sheet?

Upvote 0
Ask your HR Officer to have the training manager's workbook open when he moves the worksheet (or saves it with a different name).

Upvote 0
asking does not seem smart way practically!

It seems there is no other best way to do it automatically, can some coding help? otherwise its ok, I better drop the whole idea.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back