Major issue deleting large amounts of cells in sheet

mattcoll

I have an issue which I cannot believe is unique.

I have a workbook, and on sheet1 I have some 31,000 rows, with data, spanning out to column y.

If I select the entire range, and hit the delete key - my PC sits there forever and basically thinks about it.

The CPU max's out, but it takes as long as 30 minutes or longer for it to finish.

It is not just my PC, which is Vista SP1, Excel 2007. I have the same issue on another machine, C2D 2G, 2Gb Ram - it did it with XP SP2, and now I have reloaded it with Vista SP1, and it still does it.

the workbooks are not the same - I can reproduce this problem with data using autofil.

Other users however do not experience the issue - so perhaps it is something to do with other things running on my machines - such as the Antivirus Software...

Is it time to ring Microsoft and tell them their software doesn't really handle a million rows...

Anyone else come across this kind of thing....???

Help!

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Are there a lot of calculations within this file? I would possibly recommend setting calculations to manual and then deleting and setting it back to automatic. This may help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back