Make Excel automatically load images and descriptions based on specific data

Kailen64

I would like some help turning a tarot book into an Excel file. The first tab shows all the card spreads with merged cells to represent how the spread should look as well as the card order and orientation. I have sections that show the card number as it relates to the spread order, the card name, and card meaning/description below or beside the visual representation of the spread. My second tab shows all the cards in the deck separated by Arcana type with the card names, suit, images, and descriptions.

• Please note that I'm not trying to build this to sell or share it against the author's permission, I'm doing this strictly for my own use.

What I want:

1) I would like the Card Description cell to automatically populate based on what card I enter in the Card Name cell. I have a tab for lists in case the best way to do this is with a drop down menu, but I'm fairly certain a formula is the way to go.

2A) I would like for the cells representing the cards in the spread examples to automatically update to show the proper card image and card orientation once the Card Name field is entered or selected.
2B) The second card position in the Celtic Cross spread is not only horizontal, but also overlaps another card. I couldn't figure out how to get this to properly show up by only merging and formatting the cells themselves, so I inserted a shape for this card position. If A1 is possible then I would need this shape to also load the image file and orientation based on the Card Name.
2C) I'm having problems getting Excel to run properly with all the image files saved in my Card Description tab. Each image file is just under 3MG and there are 78 images total.
  • Is there a way to simplify the images so they take up less space?
  • If I am unable to keep the images saved on this spreadsheet then is it possible to "load" them from another sheet that would have only the card names and images? If so, how would that affect saving the document as a new file?

3) I would like to be able to automatically have Excel randomly determine if the Major Arcana cards will be loyal or disloyal (right side up or upside down). The card orientation for the Major Arcana changes the card meaning, but if I randomly flip these cards manually before shuffling then they will always keep that orientation until I manually change it, which defeats the purpose. My best option is to have an external way to determine the orientation.
Example: Within the card spread I'm working on I type in the card name or select it from a picker (which ever will work better/more efficiently). Somewhere have a button (or whatever will work) that when used will automatically make Excel randomly choose a loyalty orientation for each Major Arcana card I enter within that spread.
  • I would need some way of clearly seeing if that card is loyal or disloyal, and if A1 is possible then also have the image rotate based on this randomization.
  • Is it possible for Excel to only show this orientation option if a Major Arcana card is entered in the Card Name cell? If not, then is it possible to have one randomization button for each card spread section that will automatically randomize an orientation for only the Major Arcana cards within that spread?
  • I have each Card Description box as a merged cell that is 6 columns wide and 5 rows tall, and for all the Minor Arcana cards that size fits all the descriptions. For the Major Arcana the descriptions are very short, just a few example words for each orientation. Depending on the randomizer could Excel highlight either just the Loyal or just the Disloyal section of that cell, or would this need to be split? If it has to be split, then what will be the best way to have only the Loyal or Disloyal description in the Card Description field after the orientation has been determined? (My guess would be to have duplicates of each Major Arcana card, each with their Loyal and Disloyal descriptions, but then how would I get Excel to randomly choose between these two choices and no other card?)
  • The Major Arcana cards also have a page of additional information about the card and how it could possibly relate to a character, plot, or overall story. Can Excel automatically add a comment showing all this information for only the Major Arcana cards and attach it to the Card Description cell? (This is one part is my least concern. All else fails I'll make a tab that's just for the Major Arcana information and manually refer back to it. This is more of a "nice to have" option, where everything else is important to how I need this document to function)

I have no idea how to get the table examples available to generate all the formatting and cell merging I did. The following is the URL for the file from my Google Drive. The top section is supposed to have a URL within the file to go to the card spread I want to use or the Arcana section depending on what tab you're in, but that didn't transfer when I uploaded it, so there is a lot of scrolling needed for both tabs.

Thank you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Mt5TmMVdcyNktmdlQtVU5zSjA/view?usp=sharing

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back