Make Monday the default first day of the week

jnordcrane1

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked and answered (but I can't not find it by searching the forum): how do you change the Excel first day of the week from Sunday to Monday on a global level (i.e. for every workbook/worksheet) as an Excel system setting ... not using formulas everytime? Since Monday is the first day of the week in most western cultures, why does Excel start the week on Sunday? Maddening.

If this has already been asked/answered, can someone then direct me to that posting. MANY THANKS!!

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
maybe Control Panel and
region.png

Upvote 0
@sandy666 Thanks for the follow-up. My region settings at the Windows level are set to Monday as the first day of the week (which is correctly reflected in Outlook, Calendar, etc.) ... it is only Excel that continues to use Sunday as the first day of the week (basically ignoring the Windows-level region setting).

Upvote 0
Could you show that case when 1st day of week is a Sunday? (without formula)

Upvote 0
Could you show that case when 1st day of week is a Sunday? (without formula)

Difficult to show a specific case, but it happens at ANY time there is a reference to the start of the week (formulas, functions, conditional formatting, etc.). Sunday is always the first day of the week. There is some internal Excel setting that defaults Sunday as the first day. If you google the issue, there are complaints about it as far back as 18 years ago.

For example, in conditional formatting, if you tell it "THIS WEEK" it starts with Sunday and ends on Saturday, where it should start on Monday and end on Sunday.

Upvote 0
weekday and weeknum have return_type option and you can choose first day of the week

this is an american software so Sunday is preferred as 1st DOW

eg.

Upvote 0
weekday and weeknum have return_type and you can choose first day of the week

this is an american software so Sunday is preferred as 1st DOW

eg.

Sunday in the US is NOT the first day of the week ... Monday always is. So, I guess the answer is there is no way to set the global default to Monday.

Excel continues to frustrate with its stupid quirks. Back to ACCESS and dump this product.

Upvote 0
it's depends on the region :)

anyway, if you can't change it you need to like it :biggrin:

I actually don't know what you are talking about ... I live in the US, and have been a corporate executive for almost 40 years ... and -- NO -- Sunday is not the first day of the week in the US. It has always been Monday. Anyway, thanks for trying. On to more important things ...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back