Make sumifs with array faster

ouvay

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all

I've written this bit of code.. it works ... but can anyone help make it faster?

Its basically a sumifs with arrays -problem is that I'm dealing with over 1.2 million rows (600k+ in one table and 600k+ in the sumifs data table) - so it takes a pretty minute

VBA Code:
Sub totals_fromHDFC()

Dim hdfcwb As Workbook: Set hdfcwb = Workbooks.Item("Payment Control - HDFC Leg.xlsm")
    Dim hdfc As Worksheet: Set hdfc = hdfcwb.Worksheets(1)
    Dim a() As Variant
    Dim data2() As Variant
    Dim r As Long, i As Long, NumRows As Long,  s1 As String

With Sheet2 ''assigning main data table to an array
    NumRows = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
    data2 = .Range("D1:J" & NumRows).Value
    For i = LBound(data2) To UBound(data2)
        data2(i, 2) = data2(i, 7)
        data2(i, 3) = data2(i, 5)
    Next i
    ReDim Preserve data2(1 To NumRows, 1 To 3) As Variant
    ReDim sum2(2 To NumRows, 1 To 2) As Variant
    s2 = .Name
    End With

With hdfc 'assigning table where I want to sumif, to array
    NumRows = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).Row
    a = .Range("C1:H" & NumRows).Value
    For i = LBound(a) To UBound(a)  ''feel free to ignore this hot mess :)  its just me rearranging my array to suit my preferences
        a(i, 1) = a(i, 4)
        a(i, 4) = a(i, 2)
        a(i, 2) = a(i, 5)
        a(i, 5) = a(i, 3)
        a(i, 3) = a(i, 6)
    Next i
    ReDim Preserve a(1 To NumRows, 1 To 5) As Variant
    ReDim sum2(1 To NumRows, 1 To 2) As Variant
    s2 = .Name
    End With

'actual summing happens in this loop
For r = 2 To UBound(data2)
    Application.StatusBar = "Calculating " & s2 & " row " & r & " of " & UBound(data2) & "... " & Format(r / UBound(data2), "PERCENT") & " Completed"  ' just some status bar ux
    For i = LBound(a) To UBound(a)
        If data2(r, 1) = a(i, 1) And data2(r, 2) = a(i, 2) And data2(r, 3) = a(i, 3) Then
            sum2(r, 1) = sum2(r, 1) + a(i, 4)
            sum2(r, 2) = sum2(r, 2) + a(i, 5)
        End If
    Next i
Next r

Sheet2.Range("AD2").Resize(UBound(sum2), 1).Value = sum2

End Sub

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hi,

my initial thought is that whilst in your final loop you like to keep a visual as to how many its processed.. its very costly in resources.

So, with that in mind, I'll bet if you actually timed it your code as is, and then just removed that application.statusbar update line and did it again, you'd see a reasonable improvement.

In the past, I've also used the VBA Dictionary to speed up my arrays, but that was usually for me searching for items, so not sure it can help in this case. It might be worth you taking a look at it though - maybe some experts on here could offer further guidance to that.

cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
Hi,

my initial thought is that whilst in your final loop you like to keep a visual as to how many its processed.. its very costly in resources.

So, with that in mind, I'll bet if you actually timed it your code as is, and then just removed that application.statusbar update line and did it again, you'd see a reasonable improvement.

In the past, I've also used the VBA Dictionary to speed up my arrays, but that was usually for me searching for items, so not sure it can help in this case. It might be worth you taking a look at it though - maybe some experts on here could offer further guidance to that.

cheers
Rob
Thanks! I'll give it a go.. but as things are I it takes a few hours to run I've got to add more to it before it's complete 😥😥
I've been looking into dictionary collections and it seems very promising but I've got very little knowledge about them.. so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out there!
Thanks for your suggestion though :)

Upvote 0
Hi,

another idea I had was to re-write your loop, to just use IF's rather than multiple AND every time. I figure if the first one is not a match, it will skip the loop without having to perform a check on the second or third. It might help save a little time ?

Rob

VBA Code:
For r = 2 To UBound(Data2)
    'Application.StatusBar = "Calculating " & s2 & " row " & r & " of " & UBound(Data2) & "... " & Format(r / UBound(Data2), "PERCENT") & " Completed"  ' just some status bar ux
        If Data2(r, 1) = a(i, 1) Then
            If Data2(r, 2) = a(i, 2) Then
                If Data2(r, 3) = a(i, 3) Then
                End If
            End If
        End If
    Next i
Next r

Upvote 0
In your original post you said Quote:
"so it takes a pretty minute"

What exactly does that mean?
Do you mean 1 minute or 20 minutes?
I do see some users on this forum complain when a script takes 9 seconds to run.

Upvote 0
In your original post you said Quote:
"so it takes a pretty minute"

What exactly does that mean?
Do you mean 1 minute or 20 minutes?
I do see some users on this forum complain when a script takes 9 seconds to run.
I need to run this code on 2 sheets.. one sheet with 300k rows, takes 4 hours at the very least ( I stopped monitoring after that, since it was time to go home lol) and the other sheet with 600k rows( I have not attempted this yet)

That being said, I have yet to implement RobP's suggestions and break down the If statement into multiple ifs

Upvote 0
Typically when you use SumIfs you have a small number of rows looking up (& summarising) a large number of rows. What are you trying to do ?
Does it have to be VBA ? Have you considered Power Query ?

If you want to post an XL2BB with some sample data of both sheets, I can see if using a dictionary helps speed it up.

Upvote 0
Typically when you use SumIfs you have a small number of rows looking up (& summarising) a large number of rows. What are you trying to do ?
Does it have to be VBA ? Have you considered Power Query ?

If you want to post an XL2BB with some sample data of both sheets, I can see if using a dictionary helps speed it up.
Hi

I'm having a bit of trouble with uploading the data via XL2BB since I'm logged in via a remote PC, so instead I have prepared some sample files to share which are cleaned up with only the relevant data .. I've also made some remarks to help explain what I'm trying to do

a quick run through of the data ...
we have 2 ID numbers ( a buyer ID and a sponsor ID)
-- these are the 1st and 2nd criteria

next we have a 3rd criteria (1st pay/payoff)

we are checking how much each buyer and sponsor were paid in the bank statements, taking into consideration the 3rd criteria ..

unfortunately, none of these data fields are small by any means...
the buyer/sponsor list alone is well over 1 million rows and the bank statement is ever growing too( currently 600k+ rows)

which is why i need an efficient way to calculate this, every day at the very least

any help would be appreciated ! :)

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

another idea I had was to re-write your loop, to just use IF's rather than multiple AND every time. I figure if the first one is not a match, it will skip the loop without having to perform a check on the second or third. It might help save a little time ?

Rob

VBA Code:
For r = 2 To UBound(Data2)
    'Application.StatusBar = "Calculating " & s2 & " row " & r & " of " & UBound(Data2) & "... " & Format(r / UBound(Data2), "PERCENT") & " Completed"  ' just some status bar ux
        If Data2(r, 1) = a(i, 1) Then
            If Data2(r, 2) = a(i, 2) Then
                If Data2(r, 3) = a(i, 3) Then
                End If
            End If
        End If
    Next i
Next r
I tried this! It did make it considerably faster :)

Thank you

Upvote 0
Interested to know by how much ?

Just to know…

Thanks a lot for feedback, glad it helped

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocketslinger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back