Making 2 cells match with formatting

cbcrocker

Board Regular
I have an Excel 2007 workbook with 2 sheets in it, One for logging orders (Master List) and the other for the vendor who will process the order (Vendor List). In cell AL3 of the Master list sheet I enter what will be embroidered on the shirt using the return to break the words into seperate lines (see example below). How can I set up cell AI3 of the Vendor List to match the text including the returns?

Taylor Band
Mom
Alex '14​

='Master List'!AL3 copies the text but without the breaks.
I'm sure I'm being as clear as mud. Any help would really be appreciated.:confused:

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type

cbcrocker

Board Regular
Yes. The only time I can get it to format with returns is if I do a copy and paste special - values. Kind of defeats the effort though.

AnalyticsGuy7

Board Regular
When I have a live formula, and there is wrap text on the cell, the returns show just fine (PC, Excel 2007)...

cbcrocker

Board Regular
I'm dealing with an old, inherited spreadsheet which originated back in 2004 by someone who didn't really know what they were doing. I may have to trash it and start from scratch. Thanks.

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
In cell AL3 of the Master list sheet I enter what will be embroidered on the shirt using the return to break the words into seperate lines (see example below). How can I set up cell AI3 of the Vendor List to match the text including the returns?

Taylor Band
Mom
Alex '14​

='Master List'!AL3 copies the text but without the breaks.
I'm sure I'm being as clear as mud. Any help would really be appreciated.:confused:
Can you confirm that the red bit means you actually used Alt+Enter to insert the line breaks in your original entry cell on 'Master List'?

Have you tried using Wrap Text?
You said 'Yes' to this but I also just want to confirm that you have applied Wrap Text to the cell in 'Vendor List' as well as the original cell in Master List?

Just trying to check details because I also agree that the suggestion by AnalyticsGuy7 should work. I've used different cells, but here are my two sheets.

Excel Workbook
ABC
2Taylor BandMomAlex '14
Master List

Excel Workbook
EFG
8Taylor BandMomAlex '14
Vendor List

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starryeyed223

This Week's Hot Topics

• Sort code advice please
    Hi, I have the code below which im trying to edit but getting a little stuck. This was the original code which worked fine,columns A-F would sort...
  • SUMPRODUCT with nested If statement
    Hi everyone, Hope you're all well. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having with a SUMPRODUCT...
  • VBA - simple sort is killing me!
    Hello all! This should be so easy, but not for me, apparently! I have a table of data that can be of varying lengths and widths. My current macro...
  • Compare Two Lists
    I have two Lists and I need to be able to Identify differences between them. List 100 comes from a workbook - the other is downloaded form the...
  • Formula that deducts points for each code I input.
    I am trying to create a formula that will have each student in my class start at 100 points and then for each code that I enter (PP for Poor...
  • Conditional formatting formula required for day of week and a value
    Hi, I have a really simple spreadsheet where column A is the date, column B is the activity total shown as a number and column C states the day of...