Making 2 cells match with formatting

cbcrocker

Board Regular
I have an Excel 2007 workbook with 2 sheets in it, One for logging orders (Master List) and the other for the vendor who will process the order (Vendor List). In cell AL3 of the Master list sheet I enter what will be embroidered on the shirt using the return to break the words into seperate lines (see example below). How can I set up cell AI3 of the Vendor List to match the text including the returns?

Taylor Band
Mom
Alex '14​

='Master List'!AL3 copies the text but without the breaks.
I'm sure I'm being as clear as mud. Any help would really be appreciated.:confused:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Yes. The only time I can get it to format with returns is if I do a copy and paste special - values. Kind of defeats the effort though.

Upvote 0
When I have a live formula, and there is wrap text on the cell, the returns show just fine (PC, Excel 2007)...

Upvote 0
I'm dealing with an old, inherited spreadsheet which originated back in 2004 by someone who didn't really know what they were doing. I may have to trash it and start from scratch. Thanks.

Upvote 0
In cell AL3 of the Master list sheet I enter what will be embroidered on the shirt using the return to break the words into seperate lines (see example below). How can I set up cell AI3 of the Vendor List to match the text including the returns?

Taylor Band
Mom
Alex '14​

='Master List'!AL3 copies the text but without the breaks.
I'm sure I'm being as clear as mud. Any help would really be appreciated.:confused:
Can you confirm that the red bit means you actually used Alt+Enter to insert the line breaks in your original entry cell on 'Master List'?

Have you tried using Wrap Text?
You said 'Yes' to this but I also just want to confirm that you have applied Wrap Text to the cell in 'Vendor List' as well as the original cell in Master List?

Just trying to check details because I also agree that the suggestion by AnalyticsGuy7 should work. I've used different cells, but here are my two sheets.

Excel Workbook
ABC
2Taylor BandMomAlex '14
Master List

Excel Workbook
EFG
8Taylor BandMomAlex '14
Vendor List

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back