Making 2 seperate Excel workbooks talk to one another

Irishmcclainish

Hello all,

I'm wondering if it's possible to make 2 separate excel workbooks to talk to one another. For instance if I have a credit card receipt in one workbook and a separate workbook for projects- am I able to make the first spreadsheet talk to the second spreadsheet and add in the correct information without having to retype everything?

Thank you in advance, just trying to work smarter, not harder!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
That would be possible but we need to know workbook names, sheet names and cell references of the data to be copied and where it is to be pasted. Please explain in detail what you want to do referring to workbook names, sheet names and cell references.

Upvote 0
DateCC #Payable toAmountClient
2/26/2019CC 3179RackSpace$22
2/27/2019CC 3179Lowes$393.98Pence

<tbody>
</tbody>
So this top spreadsheet is what I use to track credit card receipts for each individual home we build. The Client column is how I know to charge this specific account. The below spreadsheet is how we confirm charges and make bank draws. If I could get the top spreadsheet to talk to the bottom spreadsheet depending what is typed in the client column. Each customer has their own "Job tracker" (The bottom spreadsheet). How do I get the top spreadsheet when I enter in the client name to talk to the corresponding "Job Tracker" so I don't have to enter in the same information on several spreadsheets?
DateCC #DescriptionIncome (+)Labor (-)Materials (-)Balance
1/24/2019CCCC 3541 Ace Hardware27.7947,674.01

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I'm a little confused when you talk about "spreadsheet". Does each customer have their own "Job tracker" each in a separate workbook or each in a separate worksheet in the same workbook? Is the sheet name for each "Job tracker" named using the name of the client? Which data from the top sheet do you want to transfer to the "Job tracker" and in which columns in the "Job tracker" do you want that data to go?

Upvote 0
Yes, each customer has their own job tracker in their own workbook. The Job trackers are all named by the last name of the customer and then job tracker. So Pence Job Tracker. The other workbook is just for credit card receipts to be tracked. Each employee has their own sheet within the receipts work book. Basically I need the information from the receipt workbook to talk to the job tracker if the customers last name is used in the receipt tracker. So if pence was to be added into the receipt workbook from materials being purchased I would then need the information from the receipt to be transferred to the job tracker. All of the data will need to go- I got as far as making sure the columns from the receipt tracker as well as the job tracker match up but can't seem to figure out the rest. I hope that makes a little more sense. I sure wish I could attach the spreadsheets for easier explaining.

Upvote 0
A copy of your files would certainly be a big help. You could upload a copy of your receipt tracker and a copy of at least one job tracker to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark each file for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to each file that you can post here. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0
You said:
I got as far as making sure the columns from the receipt tracker as well as the job tracker match up
However they don't appear to match up.
In the Receipts sheets you have: Date Payable to Amount CC # Client
In the Tracker sheet you have: Date Check No Description Income (+) Labor (-) Materials (-) Balance
In which columns in the Tracker sheet do you want to put each column from the Receipts sheet?
In the Receipts workbook you have these sheets: Ashley - 6519, RMBC, Customers and Office - Equip. Maintenance. Will the tracker files be named based on these sheet names, for example: Ashley - 6519.xlsx, RMBC.xlsx, Customers.xlsx, Office - Equip. Maintenance.xlsx ?

Upvote 0
I just need it to be when I type something in the receipt workbook for it to be automatically added into the correct job tracker based off what I enter into the client column on the receipt workbook. So if I put pence into the client name I want all of the information into the pence job tracker.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back