Making a Formula Skip Over #Div/0

Philip1957

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings,

I have a formula that calculates -3 StDev using the absolute difference of 13 data points. It works fine until a #Div/0 error shows up in the Range of the 13 data points. This is a normal infrequent occurrence dependent on the manufacturing schedule, not an indication of an error elsewhere in the Workbook.

Here's my formula:

Excel Formula:
=IF($O$60-(STDEV(ABS($D$60-$C$60),ABS($E$60-$D$60),ABS($P$4-$O$4),ABS($F$60-$E$60),ABS($G$60-$F$60),ABS($H$60-$G$60),ABS($I$60-$H$60),ABS($J$60-$I$60),ABS($K$60-$J$60),ABS($L$60-$K$60),ABS($M$60-$L$60)*3))<0, 0,$O$60-(STDEV(ABS($D$60-$C$60),ABS($E$60-$D$60),ABS($P$4-$O$4),ABS($F$60-$E$60),ABS($G$60-$F$60),ABS($H$60-$G$60),ABS($I$60-$H$60),ABS($J$60-$I$60),ABS($K$60-$J$60),ABS($L$60-$K$60),ABS($M$60-$L$60)*3)))

Is there any way to make this formula skip over the errors and advance so it still captures 13 data points? I tried using nested IFs but only succeeded in confusing myself trying to keep track of them.

The Workbook is stored on SharePoint so I want to avoid VBA if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your time, patience, and assistance.
~ Phil

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Array-enter (press ctrl+shift+Enter instead of just Enter) the following formula:

Rich (BB code):
=MAX(0, O60 - 3*STDEV(IF(ISNUMBER(D60:M60-C60:L60), ABS(D60:M60-C60:L60)), IF(ISNUMBER(P4-O4), ABS(P4-O4))))

Note the position of "3*". I believe your original formula was incorrect, insofar as it multiplied the last term ABS($M$60-$L$60)*3, not the STDEV result.

If my "correction" is wrong, LMK. I can help you modify my formula so that the last term is indeed multiplied by 3.

Caveat: That formula can result in a #DIV/0 error if less than 2 terms qualify. If that is a concern, you can avoid it by wrapping IFERROR around the entire MAX expression. Briefly:

=IFERROR(MAX(...), "")

Upvote 0
Is there any way to make this formula skip over the errors and advance so it still captures 13 data points?
@joeu2004 has nicely simplified your formula and allowed for errors, but I think you are saying you want to expand the data range - presumably to O60, P60, Q60 .... as required - so that you have 13 valid data points, and hence 12 valid differences?

If that's correct, two questions:
- Are the two orphan data points O4 and P4 meant to be in the formula? It complicates things if the datapoints aren't in a single row or column.
- What version of Excel are you running?

Upvote 0

joeu2004 / StephenCrump,

Thank you for the rapid responses and my apologies for not getting back to you sooner.
I'll have to look closer at my original formula before testing the suggested solution. I frequently get lost & confused when setting up complex formulas, and this may be the case here. I'll be able to better answer StephenCrump's question about the orphans then, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have orphans. As to my Excel - I'm using whichever incarnation is current in Office 365. It started out as Excel 2016 but with all the updates since then I don't know what they are calling it.

My priorities have been rearranged for me so I may not be able to return to this until Wed or Thur this week. I'll get back to you as soon as I can with more details and test results.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back