Making Best Use of Wood

BrooksTech

Board Regular
I wood say ;) that one of the most practical uses of an advanced spreadsheet for the Average User, would be to create a sheet that determines the best use of several pieces of wood, such as plywood, based on a parts list. Im not saying its possible for the intended purpose, but if they could do it they should win MVP of the year cus that sheet could be used for decades. Ive yet to find any adequate App, free or otherwise that will do this. The sheet would have to follow principles of say, the game Tetris, to locate free dimensions after dimensions have been taken by other parts, until theres no more space. Then it goes on to the next piece of plywood.

It would start with a parts list with dimensions of the parts, plus 1/8 in for the saw blade. Another array would list available wood, such as plywood, and its dimensions. As pieces are cut, it leaves remaining pieces to be used up by remaining parts. Each dimension of the part would be checked against available area on the cut wood until all three dimensions were satisfied and added to a "Cut List." Then it goes on to the next one.

To raise the bar even more, it would be great to have it go through some algorythm of all the possibilities to create a result with the least amount of scrap wood left on each sheet of plywood.

Somewhere out there is a manufacturing assembly line that has already mastered this task, but as of today Im yet to find any software available for the consumer.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
You mean something like CAD/CAM software or other precision design type software used to create construction and manufacturing templates, blueprints, etc.

Upvote 0
I have a piece of software that I purchased called CutList fx that I think does what you are asking. I can't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much. I find it invaluable for laying out plywood for the most efficient way to cut the plywood for cabinet making.

Upvote 0
I have a piece of software that I purchased called CutList fx that I think does what you are asking. I can't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much. I find it invaluable for laying out plywood for the most efficient way to cut the plywood for cabinet making.

I did a quick search...
http://cutlistplus.com/
$89 for the entry-level version, looks pretty good, may consider it myself (also a woodworker)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back