Making Excel Custom Ribbon portable to other machines

cancerfixer

I have a workbook that is shared by several users via the cloud. Only one user uses it at a time. I created a custom ribbon tab that initiates several macros to manipulate the spreadsheet data. This was done by R clicking on the ribbon and selecting "Customize the Ribbon". When done, it worked great - but only on MY machine. When the workbook is used by another user on their machine, the custom ribbon is not visible anywhere and is not in the customize the ribbon window. When I go through the same process of customization on the other user's computer, the newly re-created custom ribbon becomes available on their machine, but not on anyone else's machine. I have tried to export and import without success. The ribbon does not appear when imported on another user's machine. It seems the custom ribbon is attached to my copy of Excel (2019), but not the spreadsheet - so moving the spreadsheet to another computer does nothing.

Several years ago I was able to create a portable custom ribbon on another spreadsheet using Ron Debruin's custom UI, but since then it has been modified and updated. I was unable to get this version to work, either. It seems I'm just not smart enough to understand what to do. I have researched all over the various boards & found that most recommending creating an add-in and making it a trusted source. I have followed directions to do this with no success. I consider myself a reasonably knowledgeable coder in VBA and Excel, but this task seems beyond me.

Can someone walk me through the process of creating the custom ribbon tab (and contents) so it is attached to the excel file itself and, thus, is portable whenever it is used on someone else's computer? I just can't afford to spend hours updating the ribbon on 10 different computers every time our office decides to change the macro options and execution. Note: Creating shapes (a button shape) with assigned macros is not an option because of the way the sheets are designed which entails deleting and inserting rows and/or columns - even when the buttons are not supposed to move, they usually do. Besides, there is no room. It's gotta be a custom ribbon.

Any help greatly appreciated. I'm on Windows 10 using Excel 2019. Some of the users are on Office 365.

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
I am not an expert in this particular topic, but...

xlsx and xlsm are file formats which were introduced before Excel got its ribbon interface. It is therefore pretty obvious that they cannot carry any information about ribbon-specific choices made by the user.

J.Ty.

Upvote 0
To customise the ribbon so that it "stays" with a particular workbook, have a look here.
OK, it seems I was wrong. Am I right, that this code is restricted to specific editions of Excel?

J.Ty.

Upvote 0
xls/xlt/xla were the old file formats pre-2007 that do not support Ribbon customisations.

Upvote 0
To customise the ribbon so that it "stays" with a particular workbook, have a look here.
This looks like what I did several years ago on a 2010 version of Excel. It is spelled out much better than I have seen elsewhere. I will give it a try tomorrow & let you know. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This looks like what I did several years ago on a 2010 version of Excel. It is spelled out much better than I have seen elsewhere. I will give it a try tomorrow & let you know. Thanks.

The instructions are clear, and it works like a charm. The link to download the Custom UI Editor at that site no longer works, but just google that name & the Microsoft site comes up with the download. Be careful, there are lots of adds & download links. Be sure you download the actual CustoM UI Editor and not some garbage. I used the 2010 option, rather than the 2007 version. Don't know if it matters.

Upvote 0
Glad you managed to sort it & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jin kazuya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back