Making Excel hyperlink to another Excel sheet work for both Excel Online (SharePoint) and Excel Desktop.

clickjohndahl

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Requirement:

1. Text in Column A in Excel File E1 should hyperlink to another Excel File E2, Sheet2.
  2. The hyperlink should work in both Excel Online (SharePoint) and Excel Desktop.
  3. The hyperlink should open the pointed file in the same medium (browser or Desktop) from which it is initiated.
What works now:

1. So far, the hyperlink works in Excel Online (SharePoint) after appending &activeCell=%27E2%27!A1 in the E2 web URL, means it correctly opens E2 with Sheet2 as the active sheet.
  2. When tried the same hyperlink from Excel Desktop, it does open E2 in Excel Desktop after checking the option Excel Desktop > Options > Advanced > Link Handling > Open supported hyperlinks to Office files in Office desktop apps
What doesn't work:

1. But it does not automatically make Sheet2 as the active sheet when using Excel Desktop. This is where I am struggling to make it work.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have SharePoint so I am limited in my input.
However I can't see how adding that bit of code opens Sheet2. The sheet isn't mentioned, It just points to (workbook) E2 cell A1 (on whichever is the Active Sheet)

Here's an example of a hyperlink in a cell that opens a different workbook that might give you some pointers.

Code:
=HYPERLINK("C:\Users\DT\Desktop\Junk\Book1.xlsx#Sheet2!A5","Click Here")

Upvote 0
Sorry, it should be &activeCell=%27Sheet2%27!A1 and thanks for your response.
And appending sheet name with # works for Excel Desktop only, not in Excel Online (SharePoint), which appending activeCell as mentioned above works for Excel Online (SharePoint), but not for Excel Desktop. I am trying to find a link that works for both platform.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back