Making Filter Function dynamic and Control Spill to Rows only and not Columns

rkaczano

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
On Sheet 1 I have a range in C25:H181 which is pulling data from Sheet 2 via a Filter function which Spills.

=FILTER('Sheet 2'!$G$13:$L$251,'Sheet 2'!$AE$13:$AE$251>0)

On Sheet 1, in column I ("capital i"), I have some additional information that I need to pull from Sheet 2 to append to the table that I created with the filter function and I am using a simple INDEX/MATCH to do so in that column. The formula in I25 is as follows:

=INDEX('Sheet 2'!$AE$13:$AE$251,MATCH($C25,'Sheet 2'!$G$13:$G$251,0),1)

Two Questions:
1) How do I make the Filter function dynamic as new data is added to Sheet 2? I cannot change this formula to =FILTER('Sheet 2'!$G:$L,'Sheet 2'!$AE:$AE>0) as there is data in rows 1 to 12 on Sheet 2 that I don't want pulled into the Filter function. Should I simply name the data range in Sheet 2 with a dynamic named range (i.e. 'Sheet 2'!$G$13:$L$251)?

2) I also want the Index/Match functions in column J on Sheet 1 to be dynamic. Changing the $C25 to $C25# does not work as it also wants to spill down AND to the right of column J - but I only want it to spill down. INDEX('Sheet 2'!$AE$13:$AE$251,MATCH($C25#,'Sheet 2'!$G$13:$G$251,0),1). Is it possible to restrict a spill to rows only?

Thank-you

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
For the 1st part of your question, you can use
Excel Formula:
=FILTER('Sheet 2'!$G$13:$L$1000,'Sheet 2'!$AE$13:$AE$1000>0)
change the 1000 to any number of rows (within reason) that should always cover your data.

For part2, try
Excel Formula:
=INDEX('Sheet 2'!$AE$13:$AE$251,MATCH(Index(C25#,,1),'Sheet 2'!$G$13:$G$251,0),1)

Upvote 0
Great thanks - I have never used and Index inside a Match before - good to know!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back