Making RAND() non-volatile?

Help!Thanks

I am using RAND() to randomly select items from half a dozen lists. Each list has only 2 to 7 items in it, but I need to make thousands of selections.
The problem is that every time I load the spreadsheet, RAND() automatically runs, making new selections, but I only want RAND() to run on my command, with F9, so that the selections won't be always changing. I know I can do this by entering the formula, "=RAND()" and pressing F9 instead of ENTER. But to do this by hand for thousands of entries, there must be a better way? Thanks!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.

Boller

Banned
I think you probably need to use VBA.

Provide details of the lists, etc. and how you are using RAND() to make selections.

Weaver

Here's an idea.

Colour in all the cells you want to have random numbers in, then insert this code into a module. The example uses red (interior.colorindex =3) but you could change it.

Whenever you run it, the formula is dropped in to all the red cells, then they are converted to values so they don't change.

Code:
Sub randthing()
    Dim r As Range, c As Range, a As Range
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    For Each c In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
        If c.Interior.ColorIndex = 3 Then
            If r Is Nothing Then
                Set r = c
            Else
                Set r = Union(r, c)
            End If
        End If
    Next c
    For Each a In r.Areas
        With a
            .Formula = "=rand()"
            .Value = .Value
        End With
    Next a
End Sub
HTH

Weaver

Weaver,

".value = .value" Never would have thought of that! Works great now.

Thanks!!
That one blew my mind a bit when I first encountered it.

Another thing, I can't remember why I elected to go through the range area by area! I think you can probably do it all in one go.

Boller

Banned
Another thing, I can't remember why I elected to go through the range area by area! I think you can probably do it all in one go.
Not if you want to use : .Value = .Value (The range needs to be contiguous). I think (but maybe not).

Last edited:

Weaver

Not if you want to use : .Value = .Value (The range needs to be contiguous). I think (but maybe not).
You might be right - it's probably what I was thinking at the time. I'm certain what you're saying is true for copy/paste actions outside of vb.

Edit, you're right - looks like I'm smarter than I think I am.

Last edited:

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbone2020

This Week's Hot Topics

• Finding issue in If elseif else with For each Loop
    Finding issue in If elseif else with For each Loop I have tried this below code but i'm getting in Y column filled with W005. Colud you please...
  • MsgBox Error
    Hi Guys, I have the below error show up when i try and run my macro in File1 but works fine if i copy and paste the same code into file2. [ATTACH...
  • CELL FORMAT - IF CONDITION
    My Cell Format is [B]""0.00" Cr". [/B]But in the cell, it is showing 123.00 for editing. (123 is entry figure). (Data imported from other...
  • Show numbers nearly the same
    Is this possible. I have a number that can change very time eg 0.00001234 Then I have a lot of numbers 0.0000001, 0.0000002, 0.00000004...
  • Please i need your help to create formula
    I need a formula in cell B8 to do this >>if b1=1 then multiply ( cell b8) by 10% ,if b1=2 multiply by 20%,if=3 multiply by 30%. Thank you in...
  • Got error while adding column and filter
    Got error while adding column and filter In column Z has some like "Success" and "Error". I want to add column in AA if the Z cell value is...