Managing default workbook position and size

DuaneSanders

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
We share many workbooks at work. Most of us are on Excel 2010.
Issue #1: I have 2 wide screens and I sometimes save a spreadsheet on the right monitor. My coworkers open the spreadsheet and it is off screen. It is a hassle to get it back on screen.
Issue #2: I do not put my excel to full screen. I keep many spreadsheets open and sized where I can see all columns and rows, but many times i open a spreadsheet and it is larger than my excel main window. Or I open a spreadsheet that is sent from someone in email and it is larger than my excel window. This is where I have to move the spreadsheet around and resize it to fit my window. Time consuming all day.
How can I force all workbooks to open within the excel window or open them at a certain size and always to the left side of the excel window?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
All I can say is that you'll need to research API calls because app window placement is a Windows thing. Not something I've ever done. This thread has several links and some "working" code (apparently the issue has to do with monitor orientation) - maybe it would get you started. AFAIK, you'll have to deal with the app window caption (e.g. ends in xls*) so that you don't affect other windows such as Word, unless you want to include those. HTH.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back