Manipulating data downloaded to Excel

felzm

We are in the process of converting our Crystal reports to Excel. We plan to download raw data from Oracle to a tab in a spreadsheet. The name of this tab will be "Data". My questions are related to how I can treat this "Data" tab as the data source to my spreadsheet without using ADO or any other driver that does not come stock with Excel (since this spreadsheet will ultimately be used by clients having varying desktop configurations).
Essentially I'd like to be able to process the data in the "Data" tab, group it, sort it, calculate on it and create charts / graphs from it.
The first thing I need to figure out is how to treat the "Data" tab as the data source to my spreadsheet so that I may populate other tabs with formatted report output.
Thanks, Mike.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
You can select the whole range of cells in Data and name it MyData or MyDataSet or whatever you want. You can also selectively name columns of data. (Caveat: If you plan on using SUMPRODUCT() it will not tolerate references to whole columns or rows.)

Or you can choose NOT to name anything and just reference the columns as cell ranges. If by the other "spreadsheets" you mean sheets in the same workbook, its usually not a big deal. If you mean keeping the data in seperate workbook, that's also not a big deal but the formulas can get a big "hairy" at times.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the very fast response.
I'm not quite sure how to do what you suggested. All of the data manipulation will happen automatically behind the scenes when a user clicks on a "report" button ...how would I be able to treat all of the selected data as some type of recordset without using ADO ? Do you have any sample code, etc. That would be very helpful.
Rgds, Mike.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back