Manipulating file name strings

JoeS01

I have a filename in the format XXX-YYY-ZZZ.xls, where all the XXX and YYY and ZZZ are of variable length. Sometimes it is of the format UUU-XXX-YYY-ZZZZ.xls

I wish to delete all the characters to the left of the rightmost "-" character, including that "-" character.

Can anyone please advise which VBA string manipulation function will best do this?

regards,
Joe

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Are you asking a worksheet cell formula question? These are text strings in cells you want to change?

Or are you asking how to rename files on the hard drive by removing everything prior to and including the last "-" in the actual filename?

Upvote 0
Or are you asking how to rename files on the hard drive by removing everything prior to and including the last "-" in the actual filename?

Yes, this is what I am trying to do. Sorry for any confusion

regards,
Joe

Upvote 0
Sorry but this question is not related to Excel in whichever means...instead, hop onto a Windows Forum.

Upvote 0
Nimit, you are incorrect, very much so. This is a VBA Excel task, I am writing in VBA, and is a small Function that I am writing as part of a larger VBA script. I need to clean up file names first.

I was hoping you might be able to help

regards,
JoeS

Upvote 0
Do you have all the filenames listed in a range of cells on any of your worksheets which you want to change as per your requirements mentioned above ?

Upvote 0
Nimit, there is no need for me to create a range of filenames in a worksheet at this stage, although I can easily do that.

All I want to do is cycle through the files in a directory that are sent to me by different people, usually prefiexed by their initials and location, grab each file name, modify it by removing the prefixes, and rename the file with this modification.

That is not a problem, once I get the modifying part right.

The problem I have is in manipulating a string of characters ( ie , the file name) - a simple VBA string thing, I would have thought, but it has me beat. Hence the request for help from this forum.

regards,
Joe

Upvote 0
Could this help you ?
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=827

Also, I asked that question because I could write a program which would fetch the filenames from a particular directory to your excel worksheet. Once you do this, you can then modify that column list in another column using a simple formula. Finally, you can use another program for copying the modified filenames to rename all these files in that directory (I had encountered that type of a program a couple of years back on this board but I have lost all my subscribed threads due to my stupidity and so I cannot fetch that program for you unless you do a search).

Upvote 0
Perhaps this will help
Code:
Sub test()
    Dim pathString As String
    Dim workRRay As Variant

pathString = Application.GetOpenFilename
    If pathString = "False" Then Exit Sub: Rem cancel pressed

workRRay = Split(pathString, "-")
    ReDim Preserve workRRay(0 To UBound(workRRay) - 1)

Name pathString As Join(workRRay, "-") & ".xls"
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excellent, something along the lines of your code is what I was after, thanks Mike. I have modified it to suit my specific requiremets:

Code:
Sub ChangeFileName()
    Dim strInput As String
    Dim RemoveMinus$
    Dim workRRay As Variant

strInput = "XXX-YYY-UUUU.xls"

Test:
    If InStr(strInput, "-") = 0 Then
        ' no "-" characters
          RemoveMinus = strInput
    Else
        workRRay = Split(strInput, "-")

strInput = workRRay(UBound(workRRay))
        GoTo Test
    End If

MsgBox (RemoveMinus)

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back