Manufacturing Simulation Using Excel?

wolverineb

Has anyone used Excel to simulate a manufacturing process? I am pretty fluent in VBA, but can't find anything on this.

Basically, I don't need fancy graphics, just queuing processes and accumulation numbers at each process step, etc. Obviously, stochastics are also involved.

Sorry to be general, but I am still in the "can this be done" stage. I just don't see the need for Arena or some other large and expensive program if I can code this in and display results at various time intervals.

Thanks!
Dave

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi Dave,

I'm certain that your manufacturing process can be simulated in VBA. I have developed numerous simulations in VBA, including some very large Monte-Carlo simulations, system throughput models, etc. For some very sophisticated modelling, expecially if it requires dynamic graphics, Excel & VBA may not be the most efficient platform, but for lots of applications Excel & VBA provide an excellent and fast development environment, especially considering that I/O can be provided via worksheets, charts, etc.

Damon

Upvote 0
Hi Dave,

Unfortunately all of the most impressive simulations I have done are either proprietary to my company or classified. I wish I could share some of them since most people that have seen them are amazed that these types of things can be done with Excel.

But at least as a token offering I will send you a little demo of Eratosthenes' Sieve algorithm for finding prime numbers. Just as an aside, Eratosthenes was born in 276 BC, and was quite a smart fellow. He was the first person to measure the diameter of the earth, and got it almost exactly at 25,000 miles. Today many people think that before Columbus' time everyone thought the world was flat. Not so!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back