many Conditional borders

shaftdx

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2011
Platform
  1. MacOS
I do not even know how to word this one. I created a spreadsheet to track my companies fuel consumption, and it it works for me, I made it I know how to use it. The problem is the owner MOTHER took it over and she has less then a clue on how to use not only Excel but a computer in general. I have spent HOURS showing her how to do this part of my job over and over when it would have taken me minutes. She keeps screwing up inserting lines to add another entry.
So my question is this: is there a conditional format formula that will create 4-5 different color borders around the different rows? so when she adds a single cell instead of a row I will be able to see where it was she messed it up that I can fix it easier?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
This is a can of worms and is hard to give you a holistic answer without being able to see the file.

Do you mean she is selecting a cell, then selecting "insert" and then "Shift cells down" to just insert a new cell into one column? We may be able to manage this by adding protection to the sheet. If you protect the sheet and allow Insert Rows, it will allow inserting new rows, but you can insert a single cell into a column.

Second, if we look at the big picture, you may have a design that works well for you but no so much for other people. It might be worthwhile to make the design more idiot-proof to start with. For example, why would you need to insert a row, rather than just adding a row at the end of the data?

Is there any way you can share the file, even if you just have fake data in it?

Upvote 0
This is a can of worms and is hard to give you a holistic answer without being able to see the file.

Do you mean she is selecting a cell, then selecting "insert" and then "Shift cells down" to just insert a new cell into one column? We may be able to manage this by adding protection to the sheet. If you protect the sheet and allow Insert Rows, it will allow inserting new rows, but you can insert a single cell into a column.

Second, if we look at the big picture, you may have a design that works well for you but no so much for other people. It might be worthwhile to make the design more idiot-proof to start with. For example, why would you need to insert a row, rather than just adding a row at the end of the data?

Is there any way you can share the file, even if you just have fake data in it?
I thought it was idiot proof! lol but yes that is what she is doing she is selecting the cell not the row and shifting them down. How do you protect it? that sounds like it would fix my problem.

Also that is how I do it add the row at the bottom and resort it when I am done (they are organized by receipt # but we do not get the receipts in the right order or a timely fashion) but I can even teach her to highlight in a way she will comprehend sorting is above her! lol

Upvote 0
You will have to unlock all the cells in the sheet with Cell, Format, if you can enter data in all of them. Then Protect, and check the box that says "Insert Rows".

If you are adding data at the bottom then sorting and she is inserting a cell right in the middle, then I sympathize with your pain. If you convert to a Table, or use Autofilter, maybe you could make it easy for her to sort.

With a user like that I hesitate to suggest macros, even if it would help someone like you.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back