Many-to-Many Relationship in Same Table?

trypsin25

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi! I am working on a volunteer project and am admittedly a super-newbie to Access. Would someone point me to a tutorial (thread, book, anything) to help with the scenario below?

The non-profit I am working with needs to track recipients, their family and household members (former and current). My first thought is to create one table with "people" and add a checkbox for "recipient" then somehow create a junction table that connects these people with a role value (Father, Mother, Child, Other) and a household member value (current, former, no). Am I on the right track? Is there a resource that can show a simple example or how-to?

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Really not much info to go on. No idea what makes one a recipient or what makes one a former or current "household" member - different/same address? Anyone who is a parent is also potentially a child in your brief scenario so then what? Maybe what you need is a genealogy database (family tree db)? Hard to tell. Could also just be that you need a table for recipients and then one to list the associated family members. The PK of members would be a foreign key in tblAssociates or whatever you'd call it. That way you wouldn't have a lot of empty fields, assuming most members are not recipients, nor would you have a lot of repeated data. If there are 5 members in a household and address is a field, you have the same info in 5 times. Not sure how you'd distinguish household members if using 2 tables though. Then again, I'm just rambling here because of limited info as to what process the db is supposed to support.

Upvote 0
In general you probably just want to sketch out some structures and see how it works - try some sample data with 5 or 6 members and associated relationships. I do recommend drawing things like this on paper before just creating tables.

Upvote 0
I agree with micron and xenou - more info is required. Suggest you provide "a day in my business" in plain English. A few examples to show a recipient entering your facility(ies) and the info you need for the things/processes/activities you do.

I'm attaching a link to this RogersAccessLibrary tutorial in which he leads you through the process of designing a database (tables and relationships) from a plain English description of the business requirement. You will learn a process for creating and vetting tables and relationships if you work through the tutorial.
There are a number (probably too many at this point) of articles at Database Planning and Design etc.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back