Mass Change Formulas

MarkW78

Hello,

I have a workbook that is collecting information from many other workbooks. An example formula that I am using is:

='[01.xlsx]Cover Sheet'!$E$23<strike></strike>

The row where this formula is located would be collecting several cells from this same workbook.

The next row would collect the same data, but from a different workbook (02.xlsx) located in the same directory.

Is there a way to make this change across all of the columns without having to replace the "01" with "02" in each cell?

Thanks,
Mark

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Welcome to the forum.

Function INDIRECT is ideal for this purpose. Type in file names, sheet names and cell references right-wards. I used files on my computer, together with worksheet names and a cell reference. You might need to change from my file type xlsm to xlsx (or xls if you're still using a dated version of Excel). Copy the formula across as far as necessary.

For this to work, you must have the referenced files in an open state, otherwise, the formula will report a #REF! error upon re-calculation; there is no way around this issue, as far as I know.

references: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/213933
excel - Wildcard reference to another workbook with INDIRECT Function - Stack Overflow

ABC
1file name:MrExcel posts10MrExcel posts11
2sheet name:Sheet3Sheet4
3cell:a2a3
5MarketingStore B

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
B5=INDIRECT("'["&B1&".xlsm]"&B2&"'!"&B3)
C5=INDIRECT("'["&C1&".xlsm]"&C2&"'!"&C3)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
This is an approach that I was unaware of, but I don't think this will work for me. As it stands, this workbook will be pulling from five different directories - each with 01.xlsx, 02.xlsx, 03.xlsx, etc. Since Excel will not allow two workbooks to be opened with the same file name, this won't work.

Any other way to do this?

Thanks,
Mark

Upvote 0
Try as I might, I can't find an obvious solution, or any kind for that matter. Sorry.

There is probably a VBA solution, but that kind of wizardry is far beyond my abilities for now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back