mass data entry ?

kleach

Ok, I think I am looking at this the wrong way, so I need some guidance from the more knowledgeable.

I created a data collection workbook.

Page 1 of the workbook is data entry, where a data entry person can enter about 50 cells of information. This data then fills in several formulas, and outputs a single row of data in 80 columns.

Through a VBA script, this row is then copied to the data sheet when the "record" macro button is pressed. it identifies the last row number, adds the data collected to the next row and increments the row count, clears about a dozen of the data entry points on the data entry page, and puts the user back in the first data entry cell.

The idea being that a data entry person would read paper, data enter, and collect information, move to next entry. This information is then used elsewhere in bulk.

I have just been handed a spreadsheet containing 10,000 records that have come to us from a partner. The columns of data entry are all there and map one to one, but the columns of calculation are not.

I am fairly advanced with excel formulas, and fumble/cut-paste/butcher VBA.

I see two approaches:

If I was working back in my terminal days, I would use ANZIO Lite to mimic data entry and have it loop through the records. I would think someone smarter than me could create a macro/script that would loop through my data entry sheet in a similar way.

I could add the formulas from my data entry page into columns bypassing the data entry page. Rebuilding what is a page worth of formulas into a single row per record. Since I am more comfortable with excel formulas, I would probably end up doing it this way.

Does anyone have a VBA script that "mimics" data entry into a form that would save me hours or suggestions?

Ken

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Hi Ken and welcome to MrExcel!

I think you have already identified the best way of doing this : i.e. copy > paste the raw data into your version of the model and then re-create each formula to provide the calculated values. If these calculated values are normally stored as values by your routine (rather than as a formula) then after you have rec-created the data for each row you can copy > paste special (values) to force each cell containing a formula into a value.

Andrew

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back