Massive 300MB Spreadsheet why?

cbzdmh

Board Regular
Hi,
I've been given a 300MB spreadsheet and asked why is it so large?

Where do I start?

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Try format, sheet, if Unhide is an option, you have hidden sheets.

Another is to press end home - the cursor wil go to the bottom right - may reveal hidden sections.

Upvote 0
Hidden sheets, excessive use of formulas, formatting in non used cells, uncompressed images would be a good place to start.

I've found if you delete all the rows to the bottom of your used data and all the columns to the right, this often reduces sheet size, especially on older sheets that have had a lot of edits/insertions/deletions etc.

Upvote 0
There are 32 sheets, that's going to be an issue. (but i have many workbooks with 10+ sheets that aren't 100MB)

There is 1 very large data sheet 43 * 6919 that i think is then used to create many pivot tables.

Isn't there something in Excel where it makes a pivot from the same data or recreates from a new data source? Could this cause the growth?

Upvote 0
Yes there is and it could be the cause of your problems - they have recreated the data several times over - rather than using the same source.

Look at the Pivot table wizard. Thanks

Regards

Kaps

Upvote 0
Is there anyway to see if two pivot tables are using the same data source. I know the data comes from the same table but how do i know for sure if they have created a seperate "cache" <-- is this correct.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys, I discovered this Excel Diet searching elsewhere and was wondering how reliable it is? I have tried it on files of 35Mb which it has flattened to 300kb, it seems to have kept all the formulae that I wanted but I was just wondering whether anyone else had any experience good or bad? It seems quite the panacea for my purposes but is it too good to be true?

I also seem to have no problem running in 2007 but when I try in 2003 i am getting a syntax error and the macro won't run, I have changed nothing just am running from a colleagues pc which has not yet upgraded to 2003. Any idea anyone?

thanks

Noel

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back