master spreadsheet

dshafique

Board Regular
Hi everyone, I have a folder for my students, which has a folder for each individual student inside it containing their monthly progress. I wanted to know if there was a way for me to enter data in one "master" spreadsheet and it would auto-populate the individual reports. opening and manually opening each student's reports takes me all day, and uses up a lot of my time in class. I thought about linking the cells of each of the individual cells in the individual reports to a master spreadsheet, however my problem is that the number of students I have keeps changing (summer school). do you guys have any suggestions? this would really help me a lot.

My Aswer Is This

This is one of the problems you incur when you split out your data too much.
Do you really need a separate folder for each student? And then a Separate Workbook inside each folder.
Why not just have a separate sheet for each student. And all sheets in one workbook inside one Folder.
I cannot imagine working with maybe 20 students with separate folders which then has separate Workbooks which then has one or more sheets in each Workbook.

But then maybe you have a good reason for doing things this way.

dshafique

Board Regular
The reason I had it in separate folders was because I had it split by month. so each folder has a few spreadsheets, one for each month. like John's folder will have John June, john July, etc. I upload the folders to google drive, so parents can check their kids' progress whenever they want without bugging me. also seperate folders help me keep it clean and organized. I am open to suggestions however.
Another option i was thinking of (dont know how practical) is that i keep a master spreadsheet with all the students' points for the month, and at the end of the row, i can add a button which can auto populate the respective report for me.

pseudo code:
look for folder name based on value in a1 (where the kid's name will be)
look for file whose name contains "student name" + current month. open respective sheet and populate

again i dont know how practical that is.

My Aswer Is This

Well thanks for that explanation. I'm sure someone else here at Mr. Excel will see your question and be able to help you.
This is beyond my knowledgebase.
I will continue to monitor this thread to see what I can learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markdc123

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• populate from drop list with multiple tables
    Hi All, i have a drop list that displays data, what i want is when i select one of those from the list to populate text from different tables on...
  • Find list of words from sheet2 in sheet1 before a comma and extract text vba
    Hi Friends, Trying to find the solution on my task. But did not find suitable one to the need. Here is my query and sample file with details...
  • Dynamic Formula entry - VBA code sought
    Hello, really hope one of you experts can help with this - i've spent hours on this and getting no-where. .I have a set of data (more rows than...
  • Listbox Header
    Have a named range called "AccidentsHeader" Within my code I have: [CODE]Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ListBox1.RowSource =...
  • Complex Heat Map using conditional formatting
    Good day excel world. I have a concern. Below link have a list of countries that carries each country unique data. [URL...
  • Conditional formatting
    Hi good morning, hope you can help me please, I have cells P4:P54 and if this cell is equal to 1 then i want row O to say "Fully Utilised" and to...