dshafique

Board Regular
Hi everyone, I have a folder for my students, which has a folder for each individual student inside it containing their monthly progress. I wanted to know if there was a way for me to enter data in one "master" spreadsheet and it would auto-populate the individual reports. opening and manually opening each student's reports takes me all day, and uses up a lot of my time in class. I thought about linking the cells of each of the individual cells in the individual reports to a master spreadsheet, however my problem is that the number of students I have keeps changing (summer school). do you guys have any suggestions? this would really help me a lot.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
This is one of the problems you incur when you split out your data too much.
Do you really need a separate folder for each student? And then a Separate Workbook inside each folder.
Why not just have a separate sheet for each student. And all sheets in one workbook inside one Folder.
I cannot imagine working with maybe 20 students with separate folders which then has separate Workbooks which then has one or more sheets in each Workbook.

But then maybe you have a good reason for doing things this way.

Upvote 0
The reason I had it in separate folders was because I had it split by month. so each folder has a few spreadsheets, one for each month. like John's folder will have John June, john July, etc. I upload the folders to google drive, so parents can check their kids' progress whenever they want without bugging me. also seperate folders help me keep it clean and organized. I am open to suggestions however.
Another option i was thinking of (dont know how practical) is that i keep a master spreadsheet with all the students' points for the month, and at the end of the row, i can add a button which can auto populate the respective report for me.

pseudo code:
look for folder name based on value in a1 (where the kid's name will be)
look for file whose name contains "student name" + current month. open respective sheet and populate

again i dont know how practical that is.

Upvote 0
Well thanks for that explanation. I'm sure someone else here at Mr. Excel will see your question and be able to help you.
This is beyond my knowledgebase.
I will continue to monitor this thread to see what I can learn.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back