Mastering VBA 2007

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I'd suggest buying a book for each app you plan on working in (e.g. VBA for Excel 2007). Books are handy because there's something about the tangibility in them while learning new concepts, but the more code you write, the more you will see that you should primarily rely on sites like this and also just googling what you're trying to accomplish. You'll learn new techniques that way instead of trying to solve every problem with only the code tools your book exposes you to.

As far as books go, I prefer the Wrox line:

http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTi...grammer-s-Reference.productCd-0470046430.html

This is a completely subjective preference of course. I like wrox because they seem well organized and thought-out, and that's what I learned from. John Walkenbach has got some pretty handy and useful stuff out there too. Also, you might find it easier to write code in only one application at first (like excel), just because trying to take on learning vba across the board can be overwhelming.

I would advise buying a book, but just know that over time you should eventually become more and more reliant on web resources. I can't tell you how many times I've set out to write code to accomplish something only to find that someone else had already written code that works more reliably and efficiently than my own and i should have searched the internet for it first. Get code snippets from here and there, and if there is code that you don't understand, then F1 it for a rundown of what's going on...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the recommendation.

I too, have found sites like this invaluable in learning. However, I often times feel like I would be posting a problem for someone else to solve instead of asking for help because I don't know enough to get started.

I think books are easier to build a foundation of knowledge that you can expand on, whereas web-sites seem great at solving specific problems or fine-tuning code. I think I just need a book to get enough of the basics where I can use a site like this much more effectively.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KH Consulting

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back